Kicker L7 blown or what?

Cdub3N

Ok so I have a nice 12" kicker l7 I got from a buddy for some pocket change. Mega cheap.

So I was hoping it might be working for how cheap it is.

Anyways when I got home I plugged it into my home stereo an it makes this papery sound and there no pump or bass or anything, I'm assuming it's blown but if not what might be wrong? Or could it be fixed? If not I would sell it for whatever but if there's a way to fix it that'd be great. I dont know any suggestions are great. Thanks!

you hooked it up to your home stereo? like an actual home sub amp, or just an regular old home stereo? that and it wont sound good at all without a box

Sorry I should've specified papery sound. It's like a fuzzy type sound. I can hear Words from the song but it's faint and theres no bass.

And it's a nice home stereo I had a boss sub plugged in to it and that rocked but I unplugged that to try this sub so I would assume it would have enough power to kick. And when I push down on the sub it does sound like something may be scraping or scratching on the inside. Maybe the spider?

one.... your home stereo is no way to test an L7... and dont even compare that sub to a POS boss sub... oranges and apples.

two... are you running it free air (no box)..... if so, that could be your problem

three... just hook it up to a DMM and ohm check the voice coils

So when you check the voice coils, what kind of readings are you supposed to come up with?....lol....I've got an older L7 12" - with a pretty similar problem.....still sounds good on the lower bass notes, but a little scratchy, (papery, maybe) on the upper bass notes.

So when you check the voice coils, what kind of readings are you supposed to come up with?....lol....I've got an older L7 12" - with a pretty similar problem.....still sounds good on the lower bass notes, but a little scratchy, (papery, maybe) on the upper bass notes.
on the back of the sub it should say if it's dual 4 dual 2 etc. each coil should see a reading of 2 or 4 (whatever your subs impedance is. if it reads lower or nothing, then it's fuxored or if it keeps jumping around.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.