Kicker KX 600.1 problem, protection light on

Participant count
  • Participant list

engdahl

Sweden
Hey guys, new here!

I have a Kicker KX 600.1 that has problems turning on. I used it in my last car without problems and got a new car 2.5 years ago and just now got around to installing it. So it's been on a shelf since then basically. I have measured my connections for remote, power and ground and they seem fine. I get 14.4 volts on remote and power. The protection led is on when I start the car, but not the green power led. I have tried with speakers and RCA plugged in as well as out. The ground is hooked up to a stripped bolt in the chassis.

What do you think could be the problem here? Is the amp not getting the signals it wants or is something wrong with the amp? If so, can I test it somehow?

I'm really grateful for all the help you can provide.

Would my meter show a solid signal if I had a bad ground connection? I'm pretty new to this even though I've installed amps in 5-6 cars or something but I've never had a problem with it, things usually just work... I can't check the ground connection right now as I'm on holiday without tools but I'll take a look at it when I get back home.

I am using a trunk cigarette lighter connector as my remote turn on signal, maybe that could be a source of error also? It gives a nice signal so it shouldn't be a problem I think but...

Sorry, of course I should have answered to your direct question. It is not sanded, but it is attached to a clean, unpainted bolt that's screwed directly to the chassis so it should be alright I guess?

I don't have a remote lead coming from the HU, I'm using the factory unit of my Mini Cooper R56 and a high->low level converter. It is also the first time I've used one of those, I usually change the HU but that's a pretty tall order in this car since it's so integrated both electronically and physically in the center console.

Ok, mystery solved. Something is wrong with the amp. I tried my amp in a friends car, same thing. Tried his amp in my car and everything worked. So something must have happened with the amp when I first went to hook it up in this car.

Thanks for the help!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.