Kicker CVX 12: Quality?

Danometal
10+ year member

Meh.
Tennessee
I was curious about this sub while browsing Sonicelectronix, so I looked up its T/S parameters and plugged it into WinISD beta to get a ballpark of its frequency response. I was shocked to see like a .7 cube ported box being the recommendation. I doubled checked the T/Ss, but it was right. I then edited the box to 2.5 cubes @ 25 hz, and it had the most awful looking response curve I've ever seen. I've never dealt with a lower Qts sub before, so is that typical? Surely not.

I thought Kicker was supposed to be halfway decent in larger ported boxes. My wife has been jamming to her CVR 15 in 3.5 cubes sealed and stuffed for quite a while, and it sounds pretty decent, albeit lacking somewhat on the subsonic lows. I just figured that was because Kicker prefers ported over sealed, but we only had the space in her trunk to build a proper sealed box.

So, what's up with the CVX 12?

Win ISD is not that accurate, I wouldn't beleive what it says. Plenty of woofers model up goofy in winisd but turn out really well in the car. The cvx line will work in small boxes but really all Kickers like big boxes. I had some 06cvx10d2s and ran them in 1.2sealed and then 2.8 sealed. The smaller box didnt like to get down real low but the bigger box crushed the lows like a much bigger woofer but crapped out above 60hz.

Whats the EBP on that? Fs/qes This will indicate what the woofer is more suited for, sealed or ported.

And if you do go ported, dont tune below 30hz for those.

i had a cvx 12 in the same box tuned to the same frequency(the one in my avy).and i can say with all honesty that my d6 smokes it in loudness and sound quality with ease.i even had a re sx in this same enclosure before i put it in a areo ported custom box and my d6 in this box hits just as hard when i have my frequency on the amp at 70 htz.i wouldnt run a cvx again if you gave it to me lol

I'm thinking the CVRs might actually be better subs in general, but they appear kinda mediocre, although I've been running a CVR 15 in my wife's car sealed in 3.5 cubes with decent results. I'm pretty satisfied with my JBL P1224, especially how clean it sounds ported, so it's gonna take something extraordinary to cause me to retire the JBL. Maybe I'll just leave well enough alone. But, you know how this hobby goes though lol.

I would be very surprised if the soft parts of the CVX are so different from the L7 that they would like a small box. I know all the squares (L7, L5[CVR motor], Solo X) all love HUGE boxes.

Just gonna say from PE, a CVX will pound. My buddy has one in the back of his 01 Monte Carlo, and let me tell you about rattles! haha he has a crappy prefab box that had a kenwood that he blew in it, so on that end it doesn't sound good. But he is getting a custom one made, and I think that the sealed specs are pretty small compared to other comparable subs. Although, he is going ported //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif If you haven't bought it, id suggest looking into a different brand. Ive always thought of kicker as more "loudness" not quality of sound. Hope this helps bro.

I liked the two CVX 12's that I had, more-so than the RE MX 12's I swapped them out for....

pretty decent subs in my application.

better then people give credit for..Im not a kicker fan at all, but they are at least as good as something like an sdc2.5, which plenty of people run

i have a cadence zrs 35 pound monster

100 bucks a piece massive subs

pic is compared to tc9 sub

DSCN0836.jpg

DSCN0838.jpg

DSCN0837.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.