Kenwood Quality ???

Participant count
  • Participant list

elpruss

I've been looking to upgrade my current HU (Pioneer AVH-P3300bt) with a newer HU with some additional features. As I've been researching and shopping around I've noticed many "factory refurbished" Kenwood models, both Excelon and regular models and both HU's and Amps. I've also seen some JVC "factory refurbished" models and know that the two brands are closely related.

So, is Kenwood having quality issues as of late?

I really like that Kenwood supports "Dual Phone Connections" because I carry 2 phones (work/personal), but don't want to buy just for that feature and have issues. Especially when I'm planning to make a $500-$700 investment.

Can't speak for Kenwood, but...

Friend of mine has a JVC double din. Bought it refurb'd. Lasted a week and the RCA's went to crap. Sent it back, got another refurb, and it died in 2 days...RCA's went out completely.

He's buying my Pioneer AVH-4800, which I've had no issues with at all. I just wanted a volume knob instead of buttons.

Ya, I've been debating between the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX and the Kenwood Excelon DDX6903S, but have noticed lots of Kenwood and JVC refurbished offerings.

My current pioneer has been pretty good, with the exception of the Bluetooth not always connecting and sometimes problems with people hearing me or me hearing them.

I wish Pioneer had a model that support 2 Bluetooth phone connections. I'm not a fan of Alpine because of a bad experience with one I installed in my wife's car (it never worked right), so I haven't even looked at them. Plus I think they're overpriced.

The issues with Kenwood is a little alarming considering all Kenwood does is car audio (and mobile communications... police radios etc...) vs Pioneer who does a little bit of everything. Maybe Pioneers experience in other electronics is paying off with the double din mulit-media units, they seem to have better user reviews across the board.

Thanks for the input, that's good to hear.

I know they make some good products... and maybe I should have been more clear, that the models I'm looking at (and have many referbs) are the the 2016 double din, DVD/multi-media touch screens, and may not reflect the entire brand. Although I have seen many refurbished amps as well.

Maybe 2016 was a bad year for Kenwood?

Just discovered that the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX does support dual phone connections (same as kenwood). The feature description was buried within a feature called SPS or "Secure Simple Pairing".

So I'm going with a the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX as I don't really trust the Kenwood double dins at this time.

For some reason, Kenwood puts that feature in your face in their marketing material, but Pioneer makes you search for it. Maybe it's not important to most, but I really want this feature and glad it was available in the Pioneers.

I was trying to convince myself to purchase a Kenwood, but they seem to have more negative user reviews and more refurbished units available, so that worries me.

The 4200 seems to be packed with features, and their discounting the 2016 HU's right now, so the price seemed pretty good. Mine is on it's way.

Got the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX installed and it does NOT have dual phone pairing! I could have swore I read somewhere that it did (probably looking at the 4800), but it doesn't. You can pair 2 devices but you cannot have 2 connected at once so that you can answer either one if they ring.

That said, I'm still very happy with my purchase.

Got the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX installed and it does NOT have dual phone pairing! I could have swore I read somewhere that it did (probably looking at the 4800), but it doesn't. You can pair 2 devices but you cannot have 2 connected at once so that you can answer either one if they ring.
That said, I'm still very happy with my purchase.
Now I know where I saw that it supports dual pairing (or two phones connected at once), it was on Crutchfield's site. Obviously they are wrong because it does not; and Pionner's site and the manual do not mention this ability.

Just wanted to clarify in case someone else is looking at this HU for that feature.... it's not there.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.