Kenwood dnx9140 vs. Pioneer avic-z110bt

I would like to know aswell, Im looking at both of them too. Im probably going to go with the z110bt, Ive read alot of good things about it. Plus its ~700 cheaper than the 9140 atm on cfield.

Ive done a search on them both, but want to get more info on them. Heard the 9140 has some bugs( iPod album art lags, and lags when skipping to the next track). Has that problem been fixed? And what bugs does the z110 have, if any?

I would do the Pioneer myself. The bugs will be fixed with updates. The AVN6620 is another good choice. I just got mine for $420 shipped from an authorized dealer.

I work with both of them pretty much daily, and I'm putting the Z110 in my car soon. Kenwood's voice command system allows you to do pretty much anything in the interface, but it can take a couple of minutes just to find the nearest McDonalds. And the USB is a bit shaky. Kenwood has already designed the replacement for the DNX9140, and it will be at CES. The Z110 uses shortcuts for the VC, but it still allows you to do all of the important stuff. If you want the nearest McDonalds, you say "find the nearest McDonalds". With the DNX9140 it would be "Navigation, Destination, Points of Interest, Name, McDonalds". The Kenwood also much more drawn out voice prompts between accepting commands. The Z110 has the VC button on the front panel, the DNX9140 has a remote mount button. DNX9140 has a remote, Z110 does not have nor will it support one. DNX9140 does have 5v pre-outs and 13-band EQ, Z110 has a 4v pre-out and 5-band with enough settings to keep most people happy. Both units have amazing screens, The Z110 better moving parts, it seems. The face seems to open and close much smoother than the 9140. The interface in the Z110 makes WAY more ****ing sense. The DNX9140 can become a cluster**** pretty quick. The Z110 is like ****ing butter. "Mode" switches from nav to audio source and back, Home takes you to the home screen with "Destination, Phone, Source" on it. If you push the button again it takes you to a 3 x 5 grid of icons, that you can customize. You can choose almost anything in the unit, and assign a shortcut on your home screen. Except Sub Control, which may be on it's way.

Any other questions, just ask.

Both are **** good units, for real. The Kenwood just seems to have a little too much "status symbol" built-in.

Ive done a search on them both, but want to get more info on them. Heard the 9140 has some bugs( iPod album art lags, and lags when skipping to the next track). Has that problem been fixed? And what bugs does the z110 have, if any?
The album art delays the system from switching tracks for about 5-10 seconds. This is a HUGH problem and will drive you nuts. I spoke with Kenwood customer support about this problem and the guy told me that this is the way it works and will not be fixed. He then recommended that I connect my iPod through the USB because the USB doesn't display the album art... REALLY?!?!?!

I have the DNX8120 in my wifes car and was very happy with that unit... some quirks but it did the job. They are certainly moving in the wrong direction and have lost my business forever.

Stay away from the 9140 if you use an iPod!!!!

I have the f90bt and I'd pick the Pioneer for the Ipod use. I've played with the Kenwood and I like the Pioneer better. You can jump to an album super quick with voice commands, but it's not perfect all the time understanding what album you say. I thought I wouldn't like it, but the Pioneer exceeded my expectations. It plays ipod video with no problems. My iva-w505 was supposed to do it, but it didn't work for ipod videos. I can't deal with the Kenwood album art problem. Also the Navi on the f90bt is way better than I thought it would be.

The album art delays the system from switching tracks for about 5-10 seconds. This is a HUGH problem and will drive you nuts. I spoke with Kenwood customer support about this problem and the guy told me that this is the way it works and will not be fixed. He then recommended that I connect my iPod through the USB because the USB doesn't display the album art... REALLY?!?!?!
I have the DNX8120 in my wifes car and was very happy with that unit... some quirks but it did the job. They are certainly moving in the wrong direction and have lost my business forever.

Stay away from the 9140 if you use an iPod!!!!
that is egregious for a unit in this price range.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.