Kappa 62.9i and Tweeter to AMP wiring HELP PLZ

Participant count
  • Participant list
hey guys I've been searching all over the place and I have finally ended up here. My setup currently consists of 4 62.9 kappas and 2 42.9 ones powered by a 6 channel Jl xd600 which is stable at 2 ohms currently running 14 gauge speaker wire

Anyway I wasnt too happy with the front highs so a buddy gave me a set of 1" 10.9t kappa tweeters also rated at 2 ohm like the others which I would like to wire in parallel with the front 6.5" 62.9s

Now infinity rates all of these speakers at 2 ohm but I understand from searching here that they are actually 2.7-3 ohm correct? If they really are 2 ohm speakers then I get 1 ohm in parallel and it would fry the amp. However if they are truly 4 ohm (2.7-3 ohm ) safe as infinity states then I should be ok. Does anyone think this makes sense or has any insight? FWIW the front speakers are 15ft away from the amp running 14 ga wire so I dont think it adds much resistance.

My other idea is just leaving that setup alone and running the tweeters straight off the HU. Worse comes to worse I'd much rather fry the HU than the amp. And since infinity "claims' they are 4 ohm safe I shouldnt have a problem anyway. Also would I be losing an audible amount of quality by hooking them up to the HU as I would running them from the amp?

I'm sorry but what do you mean by splits? I just want a little more highs up top and all the speakers are kappa coaxials so theres no tweeters to remove. So I just wanted to wire in an additional tweeter to the front 62.9's in parallel

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.