K & M Mics

Participant count
  • Participant list

jemorgan85
10+ year member

SPL Tactician
I am dissapointed to say the least.

Ghs_Wrestler189 and I went to a local comp yesterday and they were using an old K & M mic. Keep in mind that at the last comp, we did 143 dB on the new TL with 5.1 cubes @ 36hz. The new box is 5 cubes @ 46hz.

Yesterday, this mic metered us at 131 dB. Some kid in a Ford Aspire with 4 12 WO's in particle board sealed boxes scored a little bit higher than we did. I'm a little confused here. I can't figure out what went wrong, whether it was the mic or what.

There was some JL sponsored S10 there with 6 12 W7's that according to the judges metered a 165 on this mic last year.... and this year it did a 150.2. The most annoying JL representative ever was on the microphone asking stupid trivia questions and saying things like "you don't want to hear high frequenices on your woofers" and "those people are bracing the car with their hands so they don't lose SPL"..... but anyway, she said that they just sent the mic off to Audiocontrol to be recalibrated.

I don't know if there was something wrong with the system, or the mic. I noticed other systems there that were hitting higher numbers than we did, that just normally wouldn't. Since the last comp, Adam did upgrade his HU, but we checked everything, and it was optimal.

Any feedback.....?

Well I'd have to say something was wrong with the mic. To only hit a 131 in that box would be very hard. I'd expect a 140+ out of it.

What frequency did you burp at? That has alot to do with things too. I'm no expert but just thought I'd leave a bit of feedback.

Good luck guys,

Craig G

Well I'd have to say something was wrong with the mic. To only hit a 131 in that box would be very hard. I'd expect a 140+ out of it.
What frequency did you burp at? That has alot to do with things too. I'm no expert but just thought I'd leave a bit of feedback.

Good luck guys,

Craig G
I would conisider myself an expert is a lot of things, just not mics....

Any other idea's?

We burped at 47hz.

I will be expecting at least a 145 this saturday at a MECA comp which features the termlab mic. I redid my port adding 31 sq in of port area and tuning to 46 rather than 36 as mentioned earlier.

I will do the test clinic to see if I'm using the wrong series of freq's but I think that mic was just messed up.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.