Just installed new HU and bass doesn't sound quite right

Participant count
  • Participant list

droopdog7

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hopefully this is the correct forum.

Anyway, I have a 2015 Prius with JBL speakers and a factory amp. I recently installed a Sony xav-ax5000 because I was really interested in the carplay. For that, it's been great. I can tell that the sound is different that before. Seems a bit crisper but the bass doesn't seem quite right; a little hollow if I might say. I've tried the various eq options and can't get it right.

So I am curious whether anyone has any ideas for how i can improve the bass (and sound). Anything with the amp? New speakers? A sub?

I guess I'm willing to spend a little more money but the free-er the better I say. Perhaps I am missing something that would be an easy/cheap fix. Or perhaps I'm stuck without a bigger investment?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.

Hopefully this is the correct forum.

Anyway, I have a 2015 Prius with JBL speakers and a factory amp. I recently installed a Sony xav-ax5000 because I was really interested in the carplay. For that, it's been great. I can tell that the sound is different that before. Seems a bit crisper but the bass doesn't seem quite right; a little hollow if I might say. I've tried the various eq options and can't get it right.

So I am curious whether anyone has any ideas for how i can improve the bass (and sound). Anything with the amp? New speakers? A sub?

I guess I'm willing to spend a little more money but the free-er the better I say. Perhaps I am missing something that would be an easy/cheap fix. Or perhaps I'm stuck without a bigger investment?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.
Are you using one of the present(programmed) eq modes: jazz,r&b,hip hop, country,etc? Did you use the custom eq mode where you tailor the sound to your liking?

Are you using one of the present(programmed) eq modes: jazz,r&b,hip hop, country,etc? Did you use the custom eq mode where you tailor the sound to your liking?
I did try a custom, as well as the bass boost. I can hear the difference when changing the settings but something just doesn't sound quite right. Hard for me to explain.

I did try a custom, as well as the bass boost. I can hear the difference when changing the settings but something just doesn't sound quite right. Hard for me to explain.
I totally understand. I’ve no experience with Sony units but I once had a kenwood(lower end) even though it had a 23 band eq and all, just sounded “tiny”. Replaced it with an alpine and wow, another level of sound opened up. Your unit should be a decent one so maybe someone else while chime in and help.

I have that exact HU. The bass didn’t change for me though. I also have a factory amp, and a factory 10” sub in the rear deck. Did you use the PAC unit to hook it up to your factory wires? Maybe you could’ve crossed a wire while splicing in?

I have that exact HU. The bass didn’t change for me though. I also have a factory amp, and a factory 10” sub in the rear deck. Did you use the PAC unit to hook it up to your factory wires? Maybe you could’ve crossed a wire while splicing in?
Yeah, bought it from crutchfield and used their recommended PAC unit. I’m going to open it back up today or tomorrow to connect the second USB, which I didn’t do the first time. Then I realized I needed the second to do the firmware upgrade.

I’ll double check the wiring then so see what I might have missed. Will probably redo the gain as well. And yeah, a sub like you have would be nice.

And I should say that it doesn’t sound awful, like something is way wrong. Just don’t really get quite the same punch as before, for what it was.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...