just curious

munky223
10+ year member

i got a few questions...i had 2 jbl 12's in my trunk and i managed to blow out the voice coil or something(thats what circuit city told me). I went ahead and got some infinity reference series. I was wondering what i can do to not blow out the coils...was it because i was playing it too loud or some other wierd reason? and also my amp cuts off every once in a while. I posted about it earlier on this website and every single person said i needed to get a fan. not one person mentioned anything else, but the guy at radio shack said he thinks its probably my wire is too thin. its 8 gauge so i didn't think it was, and i didn't really want to take the time to try to change it. so i was wondering if his statement had any validity or should i just get a fan?

My amp has skipped before too, it was becuz it overheated, and i have 8 gauge wire as well, and i know it wasnt becuz it was too thin, so ur problem is just becuz ur amp overheated, u may have ur system turned up too much for an extended amount of time, and its not getting the proper ventilation

Thats just my experience though

well first off...what kind of amp are you running??? how many watts is it pushing.....how is everything wired....the more info u give the better we could answer u...good luck

i have no clue what my gain is at and it is a jbl amp(not sure what model). it is 2 x 150 and bridged. i bought it from a friend and thats about all i know. and just so you know i've had it for a year and a half so i didn't get ripped off. thanks for the help guys.

Where is the amp mounted? If it's in an enclosed place, like under a seat or under plexiglass in an enclosure, then you need to get some air to it. Either remount it some where it can breath or get some fans. If it's in an enclosure then I'd suggest a fan on each end, one pushing air in and the other pulling air out. You can get computer fans at Radio Shack easy enough and hook them up to a switch mounted in your console or something. If the amp is already where it can breathe then you may have a wiring problem, like too small a ground wire or a loose connection somewhere.

As far as your 12's go, the Infinity RS 12's are rated at 300w max; aprox. 150w RMS. Judging from the numbers you've given, they should work with your amp just fine. A little research (their websites) never hurts though. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i decided to go ahead and get a fan. i was just wondering what was the best way to hook them to my amp. could it be hooked up so it would turn off when the amp turned off and turned on when the amp was on so i wouldn't ever have to do anything like switches(im never very good with those things...i left my lights on 3 times the first 2 weeks i had my license). thanks for all the help everybody.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.