Just can’t stop clipping

Participant count
  • Participant list

Budgetbanger

CarAudio.com Newbie
Maine
Hello everyone first time poster hope everyone is doing well. So the reason for my post today is I have spent a lot of time trying to get my voltage stable I am running a 2018 f150 with the 3.5 eco boost with sync 3. Trying to power 2 ct sounds meso 10s with a taramps md 5000.2 I have one battery it is a xs power d4800 with a 400 amp Js Alternator big 3 is done. My power and ground are 1/0 knukonceptz wire from battery to amp. I am running a loc at around 2.0 volts output also my gain is 1/4 up. when I really turn it up I am still clipping but voltage is staying pretty good lowest dip I have seen is 13.8. People I have talked to say I need another battery or a ultra capacitor but I really don’t want to spend more if I don’t have to. Would love some input from someone that really knows what there doing.

Last edited:
If 13.8 is the lowest voltage you see, that's not your problem.
You could always add another battery. You can never have too much electrical support. But like I said, a dip into the 13's isn't going to hurt anything.
What I've read about the taramps (from the company itself) is that when the yellow clip light comes on, you're right at clipping, that's what you want. When the red light starts coming on with the yellow clip light, that's when you're actually clipping.

A single 12-20 foot run of 1/0 gauge may not be adequate to feed that amp. Perhaps even a very short run to a nearby battery bank would also limit you as well, but most of the quality half bridge amps in that power range use dual 1/0 power and ground inputs and I think most people who run those full bridge ones that size use some adapters on power and ground terminals to get multiple 1/0 gauge in.

Are you certain you haven't just reached the limits of what your amp can make for power?

Thanks for the reply’s and I didn’t know that’s what the yellow light was I just thought it was clipping it does flash pretty heavy at times but never red. and as far as battery’s goes what about a IOXUS super cap with 2/0 wire to the amp I do have another run of 1/0 I could run from the battery upfront to the ultra cap then from the ultra cap to the amp with 2/0 wire it would be a short run from the cap to the amp? And I can’t imagine I am maxing this amp out the subs don’t even get hot they don’t seem to be over worked going to do more tests and see what I can find out. Also if I am maxing this amp out I would be impressed with these meso 10s handling it so well.

Thanks for the reply’s and I didn’t know that’s what the yellow light was I just thought it was clipping it does flash pretty heavy at times but never red. and as far as battery’s goes what about a IOXUS super cap with 2/0 wire to the amp I do have another run of 1/0 I could run from the battery upfront to the ultra cap then from the ultra cap to the amp with 2/0 wire it would be a short run from the cap to the amp? And I can’t imagine I am maxing this amp out the subs don’t even get hot they don’t seem to be over worked going to do more tests and see what I can find out. Also if I am maxing this amp out I would be impressed with these meso 10s handling it so well.
Supercaps really aren't the fix for most applications and generally speaking if you don't know precisely why you are going to use them they're probably not your silver bullet.

We can't really tell you how close you are to the maximum output of your amp but just throwing it out there that it may well be you're getting all it has to give with your subs/box/install. You should attempt to measure voltage and current it is outputting at a few different frequencies and see where you are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...