Just bought a pair of 6.5's

Participant count
  • Participant list

Lincoln LS
10+ year member

Boston
and my car has the 5x7 factory openings. The one thing I'm worried about is the size of the magnet being able to fit in the 5x7 openings. The speakers I bought are the CDT ES-620's. Does anyone have any experiences with them? How big are the magnets? Thanks.

Basically, here's what you want to do:

Take your stock 5x7 speaker, and trace it on a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF or what have you. Mark where the screw holes are. Then, put the 6.5" speaker right in the middle of the trace of the 5x7, and trace around the 6.5". First, I'd cut out the middle of the 6.5", then cut around the edge of the trace.

Then you're good to go.

Basically, here's what you want to do:
Take your stock 5x7 speaker, and trace it on a piece of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF or what have you. Mark where the screw holes are. Then, put the 6.5" speaker right in the middle of the trace of the 5x7, and trace around the 6.5". First, I'd cut out the middle of the 6.5", then cut around the edge of the trace.

Then you're good to go.
Thats how I did it when I owned my Mazda (stock 5x7 openings)

It all went smooth, the extra .5 or .75 inch will relieve any clearance issues

CT

I bought some 6.5 circular speakers for my Mustang GT Vert about a week ago & encountered a small problem.

The existing speakers that were in the door were 5 1/4 & I upgraded to 61/2 inch speakers.

The new speakers fitted in the door okay, but were grounding out on the door frame.

I was at my friends audio shop, so what we did is I traded him the new speakers I bought for another pair of 61/2 inch Alpines that had a more shadower magnet & the Alpine speakers fitted perfectly & did not ground out.

So if I were you , just make sure the magnets & speaker frames are similar in size.

Good luck !//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks man. The deal on the 620's was too good to pass up, so I figured I'd rather go through the hassle of fitting them than pass up on the deal.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.