JL ****?

Not sure of their new stuff as I'm a newbie to this site but years back that's all I ran was JL because of the cost. Many stereo enthusiasts were spending $300-500 on high end subs (a piece) when I simply ran their W1 series for $99 a piece at the time, well let's just say when you have 4 12" JL W1's in the back seat with the proper power supply, very few were able to touch me.

But just last week my brother picked up a JL Audio e2150 amp ($50 off craigslist) and we have it pushing a 12" Punch P1 just fine, sounds nice and clean and runs luke warm after a half hour of run time.

But like others have said for the new short research I've done in the last week or so, I'm sure there are much better subs out there for less money. I'm going to be purchasing 2 12's here soon and more than likely will not go with JL (as much as I loved them years back). I may try out the Incriminator Audio's or something down that line. I recently just built a sub for my home theater and was pointed to the Exodus Tempest X-2 15" 1000 watt subwoofer and couldn't be happier, that thing is amazing especially in the size room it's in.

Jl ***** ass. I have 2 jl 10w6v2 . Over the last 3 years they've developed a tear in the surround and on 1 of them it has gotten too big to repair my self. So I email Jl they want $155 to replace every moving part on the sub I replied I dont need a recone just need a surround they replied we dont do that. I replied Im basically spending $155 for u to replace my surround. OK so the w6's are now retired and replaced by 2 re sx10d4. Ill never buy another jl product again. No one I could find makes a replacement for the v2 just the v1
You forget to mention this time that you repaired the surround with CA Glue which is terrible for foam surrounds to begin with. You killed your own sub.

Sure JL is pretty pricey. But in return for your money, you get reliable products that perform well. I have nothing bad to say about any JL product i've used (comps, subs, and amps).

Though not being able to recone them is a turn off for people throwing over rms power at them. Though i've never thought of JL's as a company for number chasing anyhow.

Even so, i've thrown excess power @ them and they held up just fine. SQL name brand.

I love my 13w3's i have them in a 5 cube box at 34 and they pound. i have it off a GMAX amp from JL and it hardly gets warm. I have to say that i beat the crap out of my stuff and these have taken it. although i will say that if i had learned about other brands before getting into car audio i would have gone with something a little less expensive. but i got subs box and amp from a dealer for just under 1000. 600 off retail! make friends with shops.

I have a 13w6v2 in my 2006 Mustang Stealthbox. Yes it was expensive, but, only two of the local shops would take on the task of building a fiberglass enclosure and they quoted me $900 and 1,000 just to build the FG enclosure. That was unfinished and WITHOUT the sub in August 2008!

Regardless, although JL Audio is expensive they do make a decent product BUT I am not out to bust the 150 dB mark. If I wanted SPL, I would have picked a totally different vehicle.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Skits89

10+ year member
Skits89
NY
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from