Jl zr65's vs ID xs65's review

dennit469
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Clemson, SC
So i posted many threads to help me through my choice between the zr's or the xs's components for my car, from reviews i went with the xs's.

Setups:

Friends car:

2008 Dodge avenger R/T

Jl HD 650/4 Powering front and rear stage JL zr 65's

Jl HD 750/1 Powering a 13" w6

No sound deadening

Kenwood excelon single Din cd player, not sure of model number but its a newer one with ipod/sat radio/ changing illumination colors....its a higher end one from last year models

My Car:

2003 Lexus IS300

Pioneer Premier Avic-f90bt in dash navigation/ipod/to many other useless options to name

Jl 300/2 powering front stage ID xs 65 components

No rear speakers yet

No subs yet

No sound deadening

Review:

I was looking for some speakers that would exceed the need for the definition of flat out loud with clean highs and mids. After doing my homework i went with the Xs 65's just because i've heard the zr's and liked them and was told the Id's are always a good choice and i might be more satisfied. Dont get me wrong, i love the xs's, they get super loud but seem to be lacking in the midbass. The highs are not as strong as the zr's and they seem to almost distort slightly at high volume. I dont know if its because my amp isnt the quality of an HD amp or i dont have the rear stage in to make up for the volume loss inside the car and im working my xs's to hard up front with no help in the rear. Overall as of right now, i would say the clarity of the zr's is better than the xs's. The xs's do get slightly louder but have slightly more distortion. Then again like i said it could be do to my setup, the amp being to high or something just not equalized right in addition to not having any rear fill. As of right now i would say in my own opinion to go with the zr's if your looking for a speaker that gets LOUD and clear. I would love input on something i may be doing wrong to get more out of my xs's. but as of right now im thinking of selling them and going with a full round setup or the zr's. The 2 speakers have a different sound to them altogether, its just something you would have to listin to in person to hear, the ID's have a more full sound where as the Zr's are very sharp and crisp.

D-Squared

I don't really understand how you can compare 2 sets of speakers in completely different environments, with 2 different amps, head units, and pretty much everything else. Thanks for the review though?

I have heard both sets of comps and the ZR tweeters are super harsh while the ID were really mellow and smooth. Both are nice comps but i also think the XS ID's sound better and cost less too.

no wonder his sounds better. he has a custom amp. I have never heard of the hd650.4 before? I have heard of the hd600.4 though //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crazy.gif.c13912c32de98515d3142759a824dae7.gif

but being serious now. It all comes down to the listeners and their tastes? I have too have heard both sets and even own the xs set and I personally think that the xs set has much more detail and personally have never heard my mids distort, except when I had water damage on a mid:rage: The zr's I heard were in a heavily deadened/modified gto by the shop manager of a well respected shop around here so I know his install was as good as it possibly could and while it did sound great I still think the xs comps still have a slight edge over them. Again this comes down to personal tastes.

And my comparison is slightly skewed too due to the comps not being installed in the same car with all the same variables just speakers swapped so I suppose take this with a grain of salt?

i mean it all has to do with the person really, and how they what sounds they like. maybe im wanting to get something out of them that simply isnt possible, or maybe i need a more powerful amp. i love the xs's dont get me wrong but for my taste and what i have heard, i like the zr's better.

comparing two different speakers in two different vehicles and systems isn't a fair comparison. it's like comparing a hot day in nevada to a hot day in alaska. the environment and equipment coming before the speaker makes a huge difference in sound.

for a fair comparison swap speakers with the vehicles and then repost.

2 comp sets vs. 1 comp set. that's silly.
This^

U need to give those ID's more power....i'd give them in the range of 250rms+ per side

I'm running ID OEM 6.5's and XS tweets...i'm giving the mids 300rms each and the tweets 100rms, so i know for a fact that those XS mids want more power.

I am in the same area as these vehicles. Neither vehicles are deadened I dont believe. The ZRs tweeter is terribly harsh to me, his mid's lack midbass for lack of a proper install, and its loud and clear because he has two comp sets. Dennit, you should deaden your doors before you sell or get soemthing different IMO. I will help you with the bs of the deadening i told you that! You may be able to throw more power at them, but distortion comes from either your choice of music or where you have your amp settings.

It surprises me that you arent happy, but if you are going to sell them PLEASE let me know before you ship them off somewhere, I am pretty sure ill buy them from you.

This^
U need to give those ID's more power....i'd give them in the range of 250rms+ per side

I'm running ID OEM 6.5's and XS tweets...i'm giving the mids 300rms each and the tweets 100rms, so i know for a fact that those XS mids want more power.
the xs mids love power. I too have 300 watts on tap and 100 watts on tap for my xs28 tweeters. I am very happy with the results

the xs mids love power. I too have 300 watts on tap and 100 watts on tap for my xs28 tweeters. I am very happy with the results
I agree. Most ID mids can take and love lots of power, but 100rms to a tweet is CRUCIAL! haha I think HU power is suffice most of the time. I cant even imagine 100 watts going to a tweeter. Maybe horns but even then, goodness gracious.

If it's rated at 100 RMS, I put a 50x4 amp on them. 50 to the tweeter and 50 to the midbass.
What are you relating to? haha Thats good, but in some cases you are able to put more/less power to a speaker if you know what you are doing.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.