JL Stealthbox Replacement subs (Infinite Baffle)

Participant count
  • Participant list

Fanatic

After experimenting with numerous subwoofers to replace the original infinite baffle subs I think I may have a solution. I am using a JL 900/5 amp with 500 rms going to the subs.The Stealthbox in question is for an Audi A4/S4 B5 body. It features 2 8" subs and it bolts to the rear speaker deck from underneath. There are about 5 or 6 openings in the top for sound to travel out of. Almost completely open. I tried JL 8w1v2-4 subs first. They sounded great, hit deep, but hit their mechanical limit easily. Next I tried a pair of Planet Audio 8's. They punched well and handled the power fine, but didn't hit as deep as the JL's, not even close. I then tried a pair of Skar Vd-8s. I was impressed with the construction but they didn't hit deep either. (I may have had a sealing issue with these.) Next up Kicker Comp R 8's. Finally, a set of subwoofers that beat the JL's. They hit deeper by a small amount, handled the power better, and seemed just as clear. I really like the switch on them to change the impedance, plus the surround is stitched to the cone, and it has vented voice coils. The last set I tested was a pair of Image Dynamic ID8's. I was skeptical when I saw that the tinsel leads just "float" instead of being bonded to the spider. After I fired them up I was impressed. They were louder, more clear, and hit even deeper than any other sub I tried. They had the lowest FS(HZ) rating than any other sub tested, 22.7hz vs 35 for all of the others. For this application they are the best so far. I wanted to try a set of 8W3V3 JL's but I would need to cut the rubber away from the basket to make them fit in the Stealthbox. I wanted to be able to return them if they didn't work out. If anyone has any other suggestions of subs I could try, let me know. I am considering the JBL GTO 8". A lot of people swear by them for Infinite Baffle. Mounting depth is a limit also, around 6" or so. I am posting this because I couldn't find an answer to my infinite baffle questions. Hopefully this helps the next person.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.