Jl, Focal, Diamond, Kenwood

a33bigpapa
10+ year member

I will be replacing the speakers in my new truck (2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab laramie) and my local audio dealer can get me a good deal on the JL c5 series speakers. What is your take on these speakers. Are they good sound reproducers?

I am also looking at The jl zr series for the front and the c2 series for the rear.

They also, carry Focal and I was looking at the base k2 series with some polyglass for the rear.

What is everyone's take on this?

All help is greatly appreciated.

I've listened to JL in a local shop blindly, and to my own chagrin they were my favorite sounding speaker there. I forget the model.

The diamonds should be able to handle more power though and seem to get great reviews..

Both the C5 and ZR series by JL are nice.

be careful with mixing front and rear speakers. you'll hear both - so the worse of the two will determine overall sound quality. if you can't afford to get the same front and rear - just look at some midrange only in the rear - bandpassed and delayed if possible.

Enjoying my Focal Polyglass's after some EQ'ing, if that helps.

Also like the JL's but would take some Hertz HSK's or Mille's over either. (C5 or Polyglass)

Haven't heard the ZR's outside of a demo wall and don't want to base a decision on something very different than a vehicle environment.

I had a set of Polk SR before and they are bad @ss, the tweeter very smooth, mid range is awesome (fuller sound and airy) mid bass is impact, they are great set of speaker for 5 years, replace them with another great set of speaker (Focal KRX2) hands down.

I like Focal, but only your ears can decide. Some people think Jensen sounds just as good as Alpine. I like Rainbow and Boston. I've heard the C2 and C5 and I'm not impressed. I'd get the new Kicker 2 ohm RS65.2 over the JL's. Imo the JL is not even close to Focal.If you can't listen before you buy, its hard to go wrong with Boston, Focal, Hertz, and Rainbow.

I went to my Audio store yesterday to demo the speakers and the JL and Diamonds are definately out. They just didn't have the impact I was hoping for. I did hear the focal polyglass 165v30 and really liked them. I do have a question though, I was comparing these speakers to the focal 165vr and am trying to figure out the difference between them. the v30 has 10watts more power but the vr has a better sensitivity rating.

I will probably end up going with polyglass components up front and polyglass coaxials in the rear. I also auditioned the 165K2p components and I don't know if it was the amp they were powering it with (JL 300/4) or what but they sounded better but not 500 dollars better? Any ideas?

I heard the Focal K2p Powers or what ever they're called. They are about $650, ebay prices. They sounded flawless hooked up to an Alpine hu and Audiocontrol Three.1. I always said I wouldn't spend that much on high & mids, but hearing them made me want to do it.

a33bigpapa, Focal will always have a more lively sound than JL and Diamond. People love JL so much, they have no reason to change their product. They don't even care about producing a real SPL sub because too many dummies think their W7 is just as loud as an HCCA, BTL, and HDC3.

buy whatever you like. asking opinions for speakers is usually pointless, unless you're looking for known flaws, failures, etc. your ears should be the final judge. you're looking at nice speakers regardless.

i won't buy JL or Diamond components for my own cars - not my cup of tea. but they are respectable - good build quality.

Focal is a fine company.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.