JL Audio W7

MKIII7

CarAudio.com Recruit
I have a 12w7 sealed running in a prowedge box running off a JL HD 1200. Thinking of selling it and going to a 12 Alpine x series sealed maybe ported off a pdx M12?

Forgot to add im gonna be switching cars and I need more space for family and the mounting depth of W7 is too deep

I would keep the amp.
You are gaining about 2 inches mounting depth.
Subjective part:
You'll gain a tad bit of SQ, the W7's never sounded great to me, they have a little muddiness in the low end.
But you'll lose a little volume. I have a friend with 2 Type-X 12's and I was not impressed at all at high volumes, but stayed extremely clean.

IMO the W6's sound way better than the W7's. But the W7's are louder.
The Type-X kinda sits between them. Not as good SQ as the W6, not quite as loud as the W7

The 10w6 was the best sounding sub I've ever heard. So I bought 4 to get the volume where I wanted.
It lacked a tad bit in super low frequency ranges (~35Hz) Which make it into my music a surprising amount of time. So for a while I ran a 13w6 with them to hit the lows, but later I sold it and just designed a box for just the 4 10's that hit the lows a bit better and I've been happy since. The only problem is that the box makes it easier to blow the surrounds out.

I've had the same W6v2's for almost 15 years. I've blown the surrounds off MANY times but a refoam kit is like $15 and super easy to do and they are like new. I'm convinced it is impossible to make them fail thermally before the cone blows the foam out.

What about just replacing the stock 8" sub in the rear deck and just dropping another 8" sub in there like a infinite baffle? Would it sound bad just dropping it in there without a box?

What about just replacing the stock 8" sub in the rear deck and just dropping another 8" sub in there like a infinite baffle? Would it sound bad just dropping it in there without a box?
I think doing what you say above will leave you wanting after having a 12w7 in a JL enclosure. Bass DOES take some space after all.

Yes, It will sound like dog **** coming from what you had. But you will have SOME bass.

Idk what kind of music you listen to, but you can get a lot more sound from ported. Those JL's and woofers like that are expensive. They'll get pretty loud for SQ woofers in a ported box, and they sound good too. So you may consider a ported box as an option to gain sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...