JL Audio micro sub

Participant count
  • Participant list

Suggin

SC
I've finally decided to add some bass to finish off my audio system in my 01 tacoma. After a lot of research I came across jl's micro box which should fit perfectly in my truck. It's only an 8'' sub but I won't be trying to win any competitions and this thing has great reviews (some ppl say it sounds like a couple 10s but idk it's just designed well). Since im driving an xtra cab tacoma there is not much room to begin with, so i'm not gonna put a traditional sub box on the seat like a highschooler (i did this in highschool) and take up what little room i have.

JL Audio CP108LG-W3v3 MicroSub™ slot-ported enclosure with one 8" W3v3 subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

Anyways, I'm debating on which amp to pair it with. It is a 4 ohm at 250w rms, i'm looking at the alpine mrv m500 which would give it 300w rms at 4 ohms. I know it is slightly over the recommendations but this wont be a problem since it's a sub right? I won't be blasting it 24/7 anyways I just like to have some lower notes in there.

A month ago I put in the same sub and amp in my suv. Amp is fine. The microsub was kind of boomy but went amazingly low for an 8. I hated it for anything other than rap or hip hop though. Even some of those songs it was hit and miss. But when there was a song the sub liked, it sounded great. For metal or rock it was unintelligible and muddy though. To the point of hating it. I tried every possible position. Maybe in a truck it'll be different.

I took it back and ended up with a 10" alpine type s in a sealed bassworx box at 2 ohm(mated perfectly at 500w with the mrv). It sounds waaaaay better and overall was $80 cheaper than the microsub. It plays fine for any music and is much tighter. Doesn't play quite as low as the microsub surprisingly. But it is sealed vs the jl ported. The sealed wedge back bassworx box is the ideal volume for the type s 10" and is still quite small.

Btw. They also have a dual 8" microsub unit, 500 w max at 2 ohm, (also perfect for the mrv) as well if you do go that route.

Sorry to hear that.. I'm still deciding on which sub/box but I'm pretty set on the micro sub. I've only read great things about this sub..was it really muddy, you sure you had it tuned properly? The reason I'm leaning towards it is bc I can set it on the floor behind my seat, anything bigger and I would have a sub on my seat. If you never been in a extra cab tacoma the cab is TINY so any amount of space goes a long way hah. I listen to a variety of music hip hop, rock, reggae, even bluegrass so if anybody else that has this sub and can giv me some info that'd be great.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Suggin

Suggin
SC
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Suggin