Item(s) for Sale:

jl audio e6450

Item(s) Description/Condition:

pretty clean except for one minor scratch

Price:

180 + shipping

Shipping and Miscellaneous Item Information:

First Look

The JL Audio e6450 is a six-channel, class A/B amplifier. All six channels are rated for the same power output. The e6450 is an extremely flexible amplifier capable of running in five-, four-, or three-channel operation. Each pair of channels has a 12 dB-per-octave high-pass or low-pass crossover that’s fully variable from 50 Hz to 200Hz. Channels 5 and 6 are designed to be used for subwoofer channels, but can also be operated full-range or high-passed as well, and include a selectable bass boost of 6 dB at 48 Hz. (JL Audio reports that the bass boost becomes variable with the addition of the optional RBC-1 remote bass control ($29.95) - Ed.)

The overall fit and finish of the JL Audio e6450 amplifier is refined. The amplifier is wrapped in a stylishly clean, clear aluminum heatsink with black powder coated, cast aluminum end caps. Given the price of this amplifier, you’re getting a bargain in style.

Closer Look

The JL Audio e6450 incorporates some well thought out features. At the power and speaker connections side of the amplifier, the e6450 is capable of accepting 4-gauge power cable and 8-gauge speaker wire. The connectors are solid and well protected with plastic. The RCA and controls are located on the other side of the amplifier. Channels 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 have their separate RCA inputs. Channels 5 and 6 have the option of a discrete set of RCA inputs or take a summed output of the RCA used in channels 1 through 4. There’s also a multi-pin connector that accepts four channels of high-level inputs.

One of the more interesting features of the amplifier is the bass boost. On most amplifiers, the bass boost is set to increase the output of the subwoofer in a particular frequency band. The guys at JL Audio have done something a little different. (JL Audio adds that in addition to the typical EQ boost circuit, the e6450’s bass boost system simultaneously engages a 12 dB-per-octave high pass filter at 30 Hz. (to protect woofers from overexcursion). The bass boost is engaged via a switch and produces a 6 dB boost centered at 48 Hz, but with the addition of the optional RBC-1 remote bass control, the bass boost is fully variable from 0 to +12 dB from the front of the car — Ed.)

Installation

Installation of the JL Audio e6450 went smoothly. Placed at the four corners of the amplifier, the mounting feet are solid. The speaker connections are optimized for 12-gauge speaker wire. Special care needs to be taken when using smaller gauge wire — I noticed it was possible to completely tighten the allen set screws without making a solid connection with 16-gauge wire. Once I folded over the wire, it worked just fine.

For an amplifier in this price range, the connections and adjustments felt extremely solid. Due to the high power capability of the amplifier, I would recommend having it installed by an authorized dealer. As an added bonus, professionally installing the e6450 increases the factory warranty from 90 days to two years.

Manuals/Web Support

The manual for the e6450 is straightforward and easy to understand. The manual goes into extra detail on adjusting the amplifier settings to obtain maximum performance. It even documents the frequencies for each crossover detent.

Detailed information is also available on JL Audio’s Web site, JL Audio: Car Stereo, Speakers, Amps, Home Theater. The site is easy to navigate and provided excellent information about the e6450.

The owner’s manual is also available for download.

Sound Q & Performance

This is where the amplifier really shines. With all channels driven, the amplifier produced an impressive 72.8 watts x 6 into 4 ohms per channel, 107.7 watts x 6 into 2 ohms per channel and 215.5 watts x 3 into 4 ohms bridged. That puts the total power of the amplifier well over the rated claims with nearly 650 watts of total system power. The efficiency is on par with what you might expect from a class A/B amplifier. Current draw varied between 59 to 76 amps of current with efficiencies ranging from 49% to 60%. At 1/3 power levels, the amplifier efficiency dropped to 25%.

With channels 1 through 4 driven at 1/3 the rated power into 2 ohms (25 watts-per-channel to simulate a typical power consumption you might expect from driving midrange and tweeter speakers), I tested the maximum power output of channels 5 and 6. The result was an impressive 307 watts bridged into 4 ohms. When the sub channels 5 and 6 are measured separately, the sub section of the e6450 produced a whopping 363 watts bridged into a 4-ohm load. The e6450 can power midrange and tweeter systems with more than enough power while simultaneously driving the subwoofers to impressive SPL levels.

More important is the sound quality. It was smooth, detailed, and just plain clean. The e6450 had no audible turn-on or turn-off pop. When I checked the signal-to-noise ratio, I needed to check it twice. You see, I measured over 118 dB signal-to-noise ratio. That is well over the 104 dBA listed in the specifications. Using the CEA 2006 standard, that equates to a signal-to-noise ratio greater than 100 dBA. Impressive.

Item Pictures:

579934_425052207516922_1278925353_n.jpg

198359_424111910944285_822160741_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...