JL Audio 700/5 amp verses Kenwood X700/5 Amp

From my understanding Buwada is gonna be there with a booth and there are a few things I wanted to talk to him about and a few other people I haven't seen in a while so I plan on coming out and just having a good time.....
few peeps from arspl are coming

LOL If I knew what I was comparing I wouldn't be asking for some sound advice here. As far as my placing my thread here verses where you believe it should have been placed once again I thought that I had but there is always some as_hole that feels that it is his or her duty to bring that out as rudly as they can. I have had alot of very nice systems in my days but never through JL or Kenwood in the way of Amps or Subs. I have no idea about there performance or wattage. I am in no way looking for window shattering or ground moving sound. I am interested in the clean sound and accurate sound that you get from a well tuned system. with all of that said I did notice that even after all of your ribbing and crying about my placing this thread where it shouldn't have been placed you still decided to put your .02 cents worth in and i am not all to sure just how well you know your equipment either,lol. Thank you for nothing, LOL.

Thanks But thats not what I am looking for. What I am trying to accomplish with the system is simply a system that is tuned as near perfect as it can be and that sounds every bit as clear and close to the original recording as can possibly be. I have been a classic rocks and blues person for every bit of my 58 years on this Earth and are no longer interested in that ground moving window shattering bass just a clean sounding system with the right amount of Bass and Mids. with that being said tell me "what would you suggest" seeings how it is evident that you are not a JL audio or Kenwood Fan??

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

who is SCOTT anyway,LOL.

Thanks But thats not what I am looking for. What I am trying to accomplish with the system is simply a system that is tuned as near perfect as it can be and that sounds every bit as clear and close to the original recording as can possibly be. I have been a classic rocks and blues person for every bit of my 58 years on this Earth and are no longer interested in that ground moving window shattering bass just a clean sounding system with the right amount of Bass and Mids. with that being said tell me "what would you suggest" seeings how it is evident that you are not a JL audio or Kenwood Fan?? 

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

who is SCOTT anyway,LOL.
You just described exactly what an SQ system is supposed to do lol.... Tru, Masconi, McIntosh, DLS, ZED for starters...

who is SCOTT anyway,LOL.
That would be Scott Buwada, owner of Hybrid Audio Technology (HAT for short).....vehicles using his speaker brand has won more IASCA SQ championships than all other manufactures combined. His personal comp vehicle has also scored the highest recorded score in IASCA history as well...

I looked at both of those amps and actually went with the Polk Audio PA D5000.5 for a few reasons. First is that it's cheaper, got it around 290 on Amazon, comes with the remote gain for the sub which is extra with the JL, and the sub channel on the Polk is 500w at 1ohm vs 300 at 2ohms with the JL. Another nice feature is you can run one set of RCA's to it and power all 5 channels if needed. Overall I am really happy with it, the gains are turned almost all the way down on my Focal components in the front and coaxes in the rear, sub channel is powering 2 8" alpine type R subs at 1ohm. The amp seems well built and it's small and stays cool.

I really wanted a JL Audio XD700/5 to run my 4 satellites and a 10W6v2 in the trunk and I thought it would be my best choice. However I am running into a problem created by the mids that I installed which are 2 Ohm Bose from an Audi. I was thinking to use the 3-way crossover capability on all 4 corners but I am afraid that, since the tweeters are 4 Ohm, the crossover point automatically set by this amp in bandpass mode will make me "loose" part of the frequency spectrum. In other words if I set the bandpass to attenuate bellow 80Hz and above 5000Hz it will actually switch to 40-2500Hz for the 2 Ohm mids and the tweeters will pick up from 5000Hz and up.

I am not sure if that is correct so please chime in.

In comparison the PA D5000.5 looks to have dedicated controls on the bandpass both hi and low which seems to be independent to what crossower point the other channel was set. So in my case it seems to help.

However everything on the JL Audio looks better. The filter frequency

markings surrounding the rotary controls have scales pretty close to reality, the input sensitivity level setting is done in a professional way.

So I cannot decide. Help please.

I have never had a Kenwood amp so can't recommend it. I have had 2 JL amps before and they were great. If you have the money go with the JL, if you want a few more watts on the sub channel get the polk or the JL HD900/5. Also, the polk is marine certified and really tiny if mounting space is tight. The best choice would be the JL HD900/5, sometimes you can find them for around 650 if you shop around online. I almost ordered both JL's at one point, the XD and then the HD before I took a shot on the Polk mainly because the price (Saved some money on the amp and got better focal components instead). I am happy with the polk and would buy it again over the JL XD if that helps you decide. If money were no object again I would go with the HD900/5.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...

About this thread

bigbrother54

10+ year member
bigbrother54
california
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views