JL 8W3V2 Bottoming out/slapping noise. Help with diagnosis? Took dustcap out.

Participant count
  • Participant list

nobb
10+ year member

Calgary
Hey guys,

I have a JL 8W3V2-D4 that I thought was in good condition, but upon closer inspection Ive noticed that at louder volumes the sub appears to emit some sort of bottoming out/slapping noise. I have several other 8W3V2-D4 subs that Ive compared to and none of these subs exhibit such noise.

The dustcap had a dent on it and I initially thought that it broke some of the glue and therefore the air from the center piece was leaking out causing the noise. However, even when I sealed it back up again there was this noise again. The dual voice coils are not blown. The strange thing is, when pressing down on the cone, I dont notice any rubbing noises. At higher volumes it does sound like it might be noise coming from the bottom of the voice coil. Sounds like the voice coil hitting the magnet...but how can that be? If I push down really hard on the cone it doesnt seem like the voice even touches the magnet.

Just wondering if you guys know of some quick methods to diagnose what the problem is? Maybe there are some quick tricks I can do? I'd take the sub apart but cant find a recone kit to put it back together again. Sub isnt worth much but I hate to see it go to waste.

It is called lead slap....very common with the jl's of that model. You are pushing it too hard, and it will tear the leads off soon. The subs have the capability to move farther than the leads.

Hmmm... I really doubt it. The leads are actually spaced nicely from the cone and the spider. I tested every single other D4 sub that I have and they do not have this problem. It's quite noticeable and does sound like something coming from the center of the voice coil.

It sounds like it. But you'd have to push down on the cone HARD before you can get the VC to touch the backplate. However, the noise is present even at moderate volumes.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

nobb

10+ year member
nobb
Calgary
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from