jl 500/1 question

x13alle12x
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
OC, CA
Gotta problem w/ my amp. I got it hooked up to (2) jl 12w3 and when i turn it up the bass dies intermittently. Its really annoying. Anything I can try to fix this problem? Make note I dont know much about car audio. Just go here for reviews of stuff. Please help. Thanks!

Not trying to hi jack your thread 13alle but i'm having a problem with my setup as well.

I have the 500/1 connected to three 12" JLw3v3's. I had two wired first, but now that i added a third sub my amp turns off. If i lower the gain it wont do it but once i turn up the gain it will shut off... anyone know what i need to do?

First, what load are you running the 500/1 at? It is guaranteed to produce 500 watts RMS @ 1.5 to 4 ohms.

As for your problems, I would say look at all electrical connections first. If you aren't experiencing any voltage drops and you are certain that your amplifier is wired to the correct impedance load, then you are probably driving it with severe clipping and it is shutting itself down.

How is the bass set on your HU? Loudness on? How much bass boost are you running on the amp? Lastly, you do realize that 500 watts RMS isn't much power for a pair of 12s that handles 500 watts RMS each, right? It is even worse for three 12s!

First, what load are you running the 500/1 at? It is guaranteed to produce 500 watts RMS @ 1.5 to 4 ohms.
As for your problems, I would say look at all electrical connections first. If you aren't experiencing any voltage drops and you are certain that your amplifier is wired to the correct impedance load, then you are probably driving it with severe clipping and it is shutting itself down.

How is the bass set on your HU? Loudness on? How much bass boost are you running on the amp? Lastly, you do realize that 500 watts RMS isn't much power for a pair of 12s that handles 500 watts RMS each, right? It is even worse for three 12s!

Yeah i was thinking this too. Im guess its probably clipping...

Bass on the head unit it is actually in the negatives, Loudness off, and the bass boost is all the way down.

I would think the JL amp would be good enough for three 12's. But looks like ill need something bigger. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/redface.gif.62fdbfe1a101588a808c4cff71bcb942.gif

Yeah, try at least a JL 1000/1.

I've seen more than one JL 500/1 bench test in the 700-800 watt range on a bench with a 1 ohm load. Three belonged to the shop owners and one belongs to me. At 4 ohms they put out 500 watts (well, avg. was 498w) but lighten the load to 1 ohm and they pick up quite a bit considering they're supposed to be the same across the board IMO.

Their marketing behind this confuses me, because ohms law dictates power (watts)= voltage/resistance. Therefore, why try and limit it's power output at lower ohm loads? Why not just let it run free and happy and send out the strongest signal possible?

Yeah, try at least a JL 1000/1.
I've seen more than one JL 500/1 bench test in the 700-800 watt range on a bench with a 1 ohm load. Three belonged to the shop owners and one belongs to me. At 4 ohms they put out 500 watts (well, avg. was 498w) but lighten the load to 1 ohm and they pick up quite a bit considering they're supposed to be the same across the board IMO.

Their marketing behind this confuses me, because ohms law dictates power (watts)= voltage/resistance. Therefore, why try and limit it's power output at lower ohm loads? Why not just let it run free and happy and send out the strongest signal possible?
The JL Audio amplifiers have a strictly regulated power supply so that is why they rate them evenly across the board and violate ohm's law. I am curious as to how you managed to get a JL Audio amp to fire up without auto-protecting itself @ 1 ohm.

i had the same problem too...well my sub is wire at 4ohms

i set the gain at 30%

it's a diamond 10 d3 dual 2ohms

am i putting too much power to the sub?

the bass keeps turning low and high

or is it the amp?

can anybody help me out?

what size power and ground wire are you guys using? sounds like a voltage issue to me. check you ground connections and make shure they have no paint or rust on the contact points.

i tapped into my bose speakers and using a 6gauge...yes it's a 6gauge

i bought the kit from walmart scorshe amp kit i believe

it never happened until i switched out sub from a jl 10 w6v2 to a diamond 10 d3

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.