JL 500/1 Amplifier whine(not alternator whine)

Participant count
  • Participant list

gsxtasy

Alright, so I just picked up a used JL 500/1 supposedly in working condition, guy swears it works fine, but never verified it. So I pull out my working alpine amp, and put in the JL, hook it up and the power light illuminates like it is supposed to. However, after it has power for a few seconds there is a high pitched whine coming from the amp itself, and it has no output to the sub. The whine is still there with the RCA's unplugged, and if I unplug/plug the RCA's in, the sub makes a thud. I have the amp set to the 'baseline' settings JL suggests.

This is in a dodge ram with a stock head unit. Using a Stinger SGN11 line out converter.

For what it's worth, the speaker terminals read 40.3 volts with the amp on, no speakers, no RCA connected. RCAs read 5.92v, and RCA inputs on the amp read .593(red) and .618(black). I don't know if that helps any....

I don't know a whole lot about car audio, pretty much just the basics of how things are supposed to be hooked up and work. So I don't really know what to try to fix this or did I get screwed and this amp is just toast? I tried a different ground, same thing. Any ideas? Thank you in advance!

-Aaron

Speaker terminals shouldn't have any voltage readings if no RCAs are hooked up and amp turned on. The amp itself shouldn't be making any whining noise either.

Sounds like the power supply inside the amp is bad. Take that amp out before it gets worse and start shorting out.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.