JL 13w7 power rating confusion.

Mythirdgen
10+ year member

Laredo
How come I see everyone posting that the JL 13w7 will blow with 1500w? People are also saying that its rms is 1000. I look at the spec sheet an it says 1500rms and 3000peak? Am I misunderstanding something? I was considering stacking 2 JL 1000/1v2. Is 2000w a bad idea even though its far less than the 3000 peak?

How come I see everyone posting that the JL 13w7 will blow with 1500w? People are also saying that its rms is 1000. I look at the spec sheet an it says 1500rms and 3000peak? Am I misunderstanding something? I was considering stacking 2 JL 1000/1v2. Is 2000w a bad idea even though its far less than the 3000 peak?
Peak doesn't matter. I believe the rms on those is 1000... I ran my 13w7 on a single slash 1000v2 and it was plenty for the sub. And I did fry it with that amp too. But I set gains by ear so I'm sure the signal was clipped to hell. Just my .02

I understand that but it sounds like some people on here have been saying that 1200 will blow it. How can it if its 1500rms? And would the extra 500w hurt that bad?

13" Dual 1.5 Ohm W7 Series Subwoofer

Power Handling:

Peak: 3000 watts

RMS: 1500 watts

Recommended Power Range: 500-1500 watts

Impedance: Dual 1.5 ohm

W-Cone woofer

OverRoll surround

Floating-cone attach method

Plateau-reinforced spider attachment

Radially cross-drilled pole piece

Massive forced-air-cooled aluminum alloy frame

Highly linear, DMA-Optimized motor system

Huge diameter, progressive roll spider

Co-extruded double lead wires

I understand that but it sounds like some people on here have been saying that 1200 will blow it. How can it if its 1500rms? And would the extra 500w hurt that bad?
Enclosure will play a big role in power handling. But I'm sure it'll do fine on 1200w, given its receiving clean power.

13" Dual 1.5 Ohm W7 Series SubwooferPower Handling:

Peak: 3000 watts

RMS: 1500 watts

Recommended Power Range: 500-1500 watts

Impedance: Dual 1.5 ohm

W-Cone woofer

OverRoll surround

Floating-cone attach method

Plateau-reinforced spider attachment

Radially cross-drilled pole piece

Massive forced-air-cooled aluminum alloy frame

Highly linear, DMA-Optimized motor system

Huge diameter, progressive roll spider

Co-extruded double lead wires
I've seen 1000w and 1500w ratings for that sub. Idk what It is really rated at. I'd stay in. The ballpark of 1000-1200 or so to be safe. But I can tell you from experience that 1000 watts is enough to make that sub come alive.

---------- Post added at 05:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

I'm considering 2000w and just tone down the amps. It's in a JL ProWedge box. Sealed.
Just my opinion, and everyone else here will tell you the same, ditch that box.

AE W7 is rated at 1500rms. I would not run a W7 over rated rms.

I guess I'm just disappointed in it so far. I have 1 1000/1 hooked up to it and I'm not that happy with the range. Could be the vehicle too. Infiniti has seats about 5-6 inches thick and they don't fold down. I used to have 2 12w0 in my camaro (hatchback of course) and I think it sounded better. I want to rattle the **** doors off and I can barely feel my seat vibrate.

I guess I'm just disappointed in it so far. I have 1 1000/1 hooked up to it and I'm not that happy with the range. Could be the vehicle too. Infiniti has seats about 5-6 inches thick and they don't fold down. I used to have 2 12w0 in my camaro (hatchback of course) and I think it sounded better. I want to rattle the **** doors off and I can barely feel my seat vibrate.
It's your box. Get a custom ported enclosure built by someone who knows what their doing and I'm sure you'll be plenty satisfied. And I feel you on the back seats not coming down, my Cadillac is the same way. There's ways to overcome the seat problem, tho.

It's your box. Get a custom ported enclosure built by someone who knows what their doing and I'm sure you'll be plenty satisfied. And I feel you on the back seats not coming down, my Cadillac is the same way. There's ways to overcome the seat problem, tho.
Are you saying to remove them?

Are you saying to remove them?
Not necessarily. Tho that would be the best option lol. But with my car I cut a small hole (about 3x3 inches) in the metal of the rear deck. Helped a ton. And if you have speakers in the rear deck removing those could also help. I doubt you wanna start cutting shit in your infinity, just letting you know how I overcame that problem.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.