Jl 10W6

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a Jl 10W6. The sub just stopped working all the sudden. Does anyone know we're I can get this fixed at? Thanks so much
Need more info. But if it just stopped playing music all of a sudden, I'd guess that it probably means there is a problem with the amp or the wiring somewhere. Subs dont just play normal one minute and completely stop for no reason.

That's exactly what I thought too. So I unhooked that sub and hooked up a different on it it's place. I used the exact same wires. The other sub worked just fine. I don't understand either. When the sub stopped, I didn't even have the volume past 12.

if you have a multimeter, you can set it to ohm and get a reading on the coils. is it a v1 or v2? also another way is to push the middle of the cone and see if you it makes a scratching noise. if its a v1 "has a jl dust cap" it might not be worth fixing. can just get another one used off ebay or craigslist. if its a v2 "solid black full dust cover" you can send it back to jl and pay an arm and a leg for a recone or you can look at fixmyspeaker.com dave at psi can surely fix it

It's a v2. And thanks a lot for your input. I just emailed that Dave guy. Waiting on a reply. Just don't know how I blew it. I never put it past the rms eating. Plus my box was built to exact jl specs. Thanks again.

jl isn't real well liked on the forums. that being said the w6v2's are nice subs imo. sound great. if your gain was set to high or your electrical cant handle the amp drawl from the amp your running. either one can fry a sub. should have smelled the coil burning or the sub start sounding terrible. you might have burned one of the coils before and never known it. once you lose one coil, the other coil will most likely smoke soon after. they usually dont just stop playing. the coils will start to come unwound and make a lot of nasty noises but they'll still play music. just sounds awful. anyways, dave at psi will fix it. he's fixed 5 subs for me in the last few years.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.