Jensen Power 5500

Participant count
  • Participant list

cf2004
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Lima, OH
So i was looking through different online stereo dealers for a budget system set-up. You know, you all know some people that want a whole system for 350.00 lol

anyways I came across a Jensen Power 5500 5 channel amp for around $124 @ VM.

When looking at pictures of it from crutchfield, they included a guts shot.

Jensen Power 5500 - Additional images

Now, I will admit, i don't know to much about reading "guts". But it don't look to horrible. I thought that it was odd that jensen took a gut shot of it. Must be proud?lol Just knowing jensen from the past, i dismissed them, But would it be an ok amp to run a cheap basic set up?

I have one. It seems alright, but I don't have experience with others. Basically, it seems to work as advertized. It can get hot when hammered but I haven't seen it go into protect mode yet. However, I wouldn't have bought this amplifier again. Why? The 60watts RMS channels seem borderline weak for higher end component speakers (something like Polk MM or Alpine Type R) while overkill for most rear speakers. I realize now it's much better to have cheap/original speakers in the rear running off head unit at the minimal volume. For my application, I'd prefer something like a higher power 4 channel sub rated 100watts per channel and around 400watts or more bridged (something along the lines of MB Quart ONX125, only $40 more expensive). Right now, I have the front channels bridged sending 150watts or so for the left component speaker, and the rear channels are bridged sending the signal to the right speaker (Alpine Type-R). The sub is RE SRX12D4, 300watt RMS, wired for 2 ohm load. The sub gain is at 50%, the speaker channel gain is at 25%.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.