Ive asked locally and got nowhere so ....

ryls
10+ year member

I want to get a system and havent really messed with subs since i bought the first gen solobarics back in the day and am wondering what i should get.

Now the real problem is i listen to alot of metal / nu metal and such and want a good fast response sub or subs that can keep up.... im leaning more torward 1 12 or 2 10's and am thinking 1000ish RMS would be plenty for what i want.. i know that limits my options but thats what im looking for. Was thinking maybe a solo x or a re xxx but just wondering what you guys thought.

Thanks for the input.

What's your budget?

And are you leaning towards ported or sealed? The RE XXX is a great sub for fast kicks and double bass which rock music has a lot of, but it's a bit pricey.

I'm guessing since his last sub was a first gen solo baric, and he liked it so he looked at kicker's current lineup and saw the solo X.
Nail hit on the head there ... as for the 1000 rms its just a low point i set myself cause i really would like to keep space used to a minimum. As for my price point i wouldnt spend more than 500 or so on a used/ebayed sub unless i got it local with manufactur warranty... being in canada warranty issues are huge as shipping costs 2ways would be brutal.

As for ported or sealed im easy ... i mean ideally sealed would be nice as it would take up alot less room but if i just do a single sub set up size of box wont really matter im thinking i will end up going ported. Any recommendations ?

Mach 5 IXL series. Pair of 10s or 12s, whatever you can fit. Warranty issues are simple for you because they're a Canadian company. Two of the 12s new are less than $400 and would do just fine off 1000w total. They also work well in a really small sealed box so you don't have to worry about using a lot of space.

The SoloX is definitely not what you're looking for. It may be at the top of the Kicker food chain but Kicker is not making the same style sub that they were back in the early 90s. Back then they sounded good and got pretty loud (for the time). Now they can be made to get really loud (with a lot of power and a mistuned box) but they don't sound good. Even set up to sound their best they're merely mediocre.

Ive never heard of mach but looking at there products wouldnt 1 spl 12 be a better solution then 2 ixl's ? Also they say the ixl's are High quality long-throw subwoofer and im thinking if its long-throw the quick bass in the type of music im listening to might not sound the best.

As long as were talking about canadian made subs i was also looking at some spl kaptions but im not sure how good a sub they are and the local dealer for them wasnt much help. When i tried to talk to him about this all he really had to say is that i should stick to 10's cause the will have a faster response.

Also thanks for the comments on the solo x ... i loved my old barics and like you said at the time they were decent subs specially if you had no room cause there sealed box requirements were small .

Im leaning towards the re xxx but im wondering if they need more power to sound good or if they still sound good underpowered.

Thanks for the input and comments so far its greatly appreciated

I would email Mark the owner of Mach5 and run it by him. He's a great guy and knows his products better then anyone. I'm sure he's got experience playing every kind of music on his subs.

I run an SPL type of sub and listen to a lot of metal with very fast kick drums and it keeps up with no problems...

SoloX has always been an SPL sub. Solobaric was Kicker's SQ sub back in the 90's.

Personally, I hate that these square subs, the L5 and L7 series, share the same solobaric name as their ancestor.

The XXX will sound good with less power. I have an '03 model (the '05 was the last year before they went to the new retardedly deep and strange looking design) and it was absolutely great with a whole 400w on it. Don't get the idea that too many of the noobs have that the power rating is a requirement or a goal. Most subs will sound their best with much less than rated power.

If you go with an older XXX try either 1cf sealed or 2cf tuned to 28hz. Accurate as hell and plenty loud ported.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

ryls

10+ year member
ryls
trenton ontatio
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from