Its been a year with my Obsidian Audio 15 and ASPM-1500 :O

Participant count
  • Participant list

EpicMango
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Colorado
Yep. Actually its been 1 year and 1 month now. Subwoofer is still going strong. Amp is going just as strong. I have never smelled the coils/glue once since I stopped bumping "No Hands" by Waka Flocka Flame. And I know that I've pushed the sub to its limits sometimes as I can hear the sub reachings its mechanical limits. In this regard, I am extremely happy that I went with an ASPM-1500 and wired it down to 2 ohms. It seems that I reached the perfect medium of SPL and SQ without distortion on 12v electrical relative to this and only this specific amp

I couldn't be happier with this system, it is STILL loud enough for me. I don't have any prospects to "upgrade" yet.

Regarding the amp, I don't know if anything has changed on this forum regarding the ASPM series of amps, but whatever people might tell you of how "bad" the amp is, I can tell you with a year of confidence that this amp is solid. Granted I did not run it at 1 ohm, this amp is still the best price to performance ratio out there. There is no such thing as overheating this amp, as I've had some pretty sunny days with the amp sitting directly in the sunlight. I have no tint, so the amp is getting a full load of heat on it, and the metal casing will get so hot sometimes, that you can't keep your hand on it for more than 5 seconds, and it would still bump at full tilt.

The amp is a PERFECT match for the Obsidian subs @ 2 ohms. Set your gains correctly, and your sub will be perfect for years to come.

In terms of a new not used quality setup on a somewhat strict budget, I don't think I can recommend another combination that will yield you the sound quality and loudness for under $300.

Brand New Audiopipe ASPM-1500 ~ $125

Brand New Obsidian Audio 15 ~ $160

I love Obsidian Audio so much, that Obsidian Audio blocked me from commenting, liking, or sharing any of their posts, on their Facebook, luuul. I can only view their stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the full specs with pictures

*Obsidian Audio 15 D4

*Audiopipe ASPM-1500 @ 2 ohms

* 3.1 Cubes after displacement tuned at 32hz

* Rockford Fosgate 4 Gauge Wiring with KnuKonceptz 12 gauge Kord Ultra Flex OFC Speaker Wire

001_zps54f26177.jpg

001_zps3f516ac6.jpg

004_zpsfbe19d02.jpg

002_zpsbd7d8583.jpg

003_zps52638673.jpg

002_zpsc839a01b.jpg

001_zpsb967983d.jpg

002_zpsb3822ef8.jpg

...I swear that in the 2nd to last picture, that in the cup holder, thats totally NOT my stash of weed...//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/naughty.gif.94359f346c0f1259df8038d60b41863e.gif

wait why would they block you if you're showing so much love? have you metered the setup? what car do you have it in? enclosure specs?
I don't know. This is my assumption, because I used to be able to do all the above, but now I can't. I just assume I showed them TOO much love. I have not metered the setup. The car is a 1994 Honda Accord with 12v alternator and a Walmart Everstart battery. No ELD bypass, no extra batteries, no nothing.

It seems that I reached the perfect medium of SPL and SQ without distortion on 12v electrical.
No you havent. Audiopipe and SQ can not go in the same sentence at all. Swap your Audiopipe amp out for a Cadence Z1200 Class A/B amp with .04% distortion. Bet you money that you can hear a significant difference in quality of the Audiopipe.

No you havent. Audiopipe and SQ can not go in the same sentence at all. Swap your Audiopipe amp out for a Cadence Z1200 Class A/B amp with .04% distortion. Bet you money that you can hear a significant difference in quality of the Audiopipe.
I was only saying this in my own subjective view. This was the first system I ever owned, so I don't really have any other reference points except other systems I've heard, and in terms of "regular highschool" systems, I have yet to hear a cleaner sounding system for the money.

...might I add, that I forgot to add in that sentence "for the money"

yeah but with this money becomes a huge factor... those a/b's aren't cheap

I was only saying this in my own subjective view. This was the first system I ever owned, so I don't really have any other reference points except other systems I've heard, and in terms of "regular highschool" systems, I have yet to hear a cleaner sounding system for the money.
...might I add, that I forgot to add in that sentence "for the money"
For $310 I got my Audiosystem Twister amp and my Audiomobile Evo TC2+ based sub. You just have to shop around and dont jump on the first thing that sounds feasible.

yeah but with this money becomes a huge factor... those a/b's aren't cheap
Paid $150 for my Cadence Z1200 in near mint condition. Again you just have to shop around.

looks good man, glad you're happy... looks like a pretty clean install too! have you only run it subs/port firing forward? have you tried turning the box around to experiment?
Thanks. My box builder (who was 18 at the time) built my box and completely wired my car for the system, as the car wasn't wired for subs before the installation. He did a **** good job of keeping it clean. I wasn't expecting him to do such a good job.

I have yet to try firing the subs rear, or sideways into the trunk. Its always been fired into the cabin. I'm perfectly content with how loud the setup is, so I never really bothered to get "even louder"

For $310 I got my Audiosystem Twister amp and my Audiomobile Evo TC2+ based sub. You just have to shop around and dont jump on the first thing that sounds feasible.

Paid $150 for my Cadence Z1200 in near mint condition. Again you just have to shop around.
In terms of a new not used quality setup on a somewhat strict budget, I don't think I can recommend another combination that will yield you the sound quality and loudness for under $300.
If we were talking about used, then literally anything could go. I'm sure there have been some ridiculously insane deals on subs and amps. I'm purely referencing a brand new, never owned, straight from the manufacturer system.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I'm just giving advice to new system buyers. If they want everything brand new, than this combination is really hard to beat for the price...

And fixed

It seems that I reached the perfect medium of SPL and SQ without distortion on 12v electrical relative to this and only this specific amp

wait why would they block you if you're showing so much love? have you metered the setup? what car do you have it in? enclosure specs?

I was an Obsidian lover at one time. Still say they are great subs for the price. But the first time you try and make a constructive criticism of the product they turn it around as if you are bashing the company. Why? I don't know. I guess the construe things over the internet completely different than I do. I made a comment once about how the glue stinks during break in. And was bashed for overpowering the sub. I clamped my amp at 965 watts at full tilt on a 50 hz burp. The sub is rated at 600 watts rms. So you mean to tell me on music I was over powering this sub. Theres no way the amp I was running that burped 965 watts was pushing anywhere near 600 watts on music. Again, great product for the price. They just need to loosen up and take the criticism without getting so critical.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.