Issues w/04 Silverado with Bose

04silverado

I have an 04 Silverado with the Bose stereo and I installed a Rockford Amp with 4 JL 8W6's. I am having problems with the factory setup and want to upgrade but would like to upgrade in stages and I would really like to upgrade in a way that solves my problem to start with instead of throwing money at chasing it.

So this is my issue with the factory stereo, sometimes when I start the vehicle I have no audio. The factory headunit appears to be working, tunes stations, says its playing cds, etc. but there is no audio coming out, not even the factory chimes work when it is not working. Also when it is not working there is an obnoxious low constant thumping coming from the speakers. It usually will not come back on until I cycle the ignition, sometimes several times.

So I am thinking the issue lies either with the bose amp or with one of the speakers causing the amp to go into a protect mode. I don't really want to replace the bose amp or the factory speakers to try to find the issue because if I were to replace either I would rather replace them with upgraded aftermarket. I have been told that Bose speakers are not compatible with aftermarket h/u's and amplifiers, and that aftermarket speakers are not compatible with the bose amp. Does anyone know if this is true or was the guy just trying to sell me more ****?

I'm thinking I would just replace the headunit with aftermarket and bypass the bose amp, can I use the Bose speakers wired directly to an aftermarket H/U? Or should I try replacing the Bose speakers with aftermarket first? Has anyone else with a Bose stereo had this issue? Its really starting to drive me nuts and is really hard to diagnose as it only happens once in a while.

I have an 04 Tahoe with the Bose system that should be very similar to you Silverado as long as its not a Denali. The Denali's and Eskys use a digital Bose amp that is completely different than the standard Bose amp. (Here is some good info on the difference between the two systems. The How To Guide On Installing Tnr800 - Audio, Electronics, OnStar, & SiriusXM - GM-Trucks.com) Ok, from what I understand the Bose speakers are 2ohm (but I haven't actually checked mine yet), and any 2ohm stable amp should run them. I have read that the Non LUX HU outputs speaker level signals to the Bose amp, and I've also read that it's a low level output (The LUX system is low lvl for sure). If in fact it is a high level output then it would be real easy to check whether on not it is the HU or amp. Anyway my SUV FSM shows the tweeters in parallel with the woofers, and the sub is on it's own channel on the amp. The subs are dual voice coil, and are bi-amped. If you do replace your OEM HU with an aftermarket unit you will need to use one of those integration kits, or you will loose your chimes, On Star, and retained radio till you open the door. Also the OEM system uses a constant 12v supply, and the ignition on is triggered via the CCD BUS from the BCM. Also if you have the wheel controls you will need a unit for them as well if you wish to retain the use of them. If I was in your shoes I would grab a Bose amp from the junk yard and swap it in (Remember to stay away from the Denali, and Caddys 'cause they have the LUX amps in them.). Any 03+ GMT 800 platform should have the correct Bose amp. If you decide to swap out the HU for a JY unit you will have to go to a dealer (or shop that has a Tech2 unit) and have it programmed to the VIN on your truck, or it will go into theft lock mode and be useless... Hopefully something from my ramblings here will help you...

Scooby is right for the most part but its not worth the hassle to get another Bose amp and **** around with it. Just buy GMS 2 to retain chimes and such I left out the wheel controls because I'll move my hand 12 inches and save 70$. Do your self a favor and buy a new hhead unit and some Pioneer TS coaxils with the JL micro amp and be done with it. The stock Bose systems are horrible to start with might as well grab new gear and make it better instead of replacing the stock garbage. Just my advice as Ihave been in your shoes before and thats how iI would have done it

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.