Is this possible or should I go with my other options.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hi_FIdelity
10+ year member

Mobile Audiophile
I have a 1993 Cadillac Eldorado and I have had hell of a time finding HU that looks like it belongs in the car I have a few options but they are a bit pricey and only one of them has any real visual appeal to me (It's also and Premium OEM for a different car go figure).

So I have considered on integrating a stock Bose HU (93 had the CD/Tape combo wich is a plus for me) with aftermarket amp/speakers. I know that in the Bose system the HU is basically just a pre amp with the tuner residing in the trunk and actual amps located next to the door/rear deck speakers. I haven't listened to the Radio in almost 6 years so not having a tuner doesn't bug me, honestly I'd rather just switch out CD and cassettes. Also I know it lacks an AUX input but again CD and Tape is fine with me.

What I would like know is if the Bose HU outputs a line level analog signal for the CD section or is it just a transport and the actual DAC is in the tuner module in the trunk. I have the OEM GM service manual for the car so I know the pin outs but I need to know if the CD will output usable analog signal. The HU in questions model number is 16166166 if that helps at all.

These are the two HU I am considering, for anyone that cares.

Bose Symphony Gold Model #16166166

Cadillac-R-1941-1-detailed-image.jpg

Mcintosh Labs CD/Tape Model:pF-21421

2_din_mcintosh_pf-21421_cd-tape_1.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.