Is this normal?

Ok I have 2 AB XFL 12's running on a VFL 4480. I have the lpf at 80 and 80 on the hu. Gains set with a DMM using a 60hz test tone. Everything was set right. I just have a question about how the subs play music. It seems that some songs aren't nearly as loud (the bass) and i can only turn the bass nob barely up before hearing a slapping type noise. I of course turn it down right away. But some songs have awesome bass and I can turn it up all the way and still sounds good with no distortion. (At least from what i can tell by ear)

The types of songs it usually does it on are the quick hits or higher notes. I was just wondering if thats just how these subs play. It does very well on most of the music i listen to just not so well on others. Almost seems as if my old Kenwoods did a little better on some songs.

My box is tuned to 33hz.

Im just curious about this.

Use either the crossover on the head unit or the crossover on the amp, not both. If you can't disable them turn the crossover on the amp to the highest frequency. This is affecting the upper bass response of the subs, if they in fact can play up to 80 Hz loudly in that box.

Use either the crossover on the head unit or the crossover on the amp, not both. If you can't disable them turn the crossover on the amp to the highest frequency. This is affecting the upper bass response of the subs, if they in fact can play up to 80 Hz loudly in that box.
Its rolling off a lot faster but this doesnt explain the noise he hears. The box is properly sealed/braced?

I think it is 4ft^3 Mylows had it made for me.

Yeah, I can't disable the cross over on the HU. So i will set it at 120hz because thats the highest it goes to.

They have made that noise on certain songs since the night i set it all up.

I have been trying everything to get it sounding better. But like i said on some songs it sounds really good. Then on others (with different kind of bass) i can barely turn up the gain without hearing that noise. Could it just be a clipped signal?

So as I was just driving home. I am listening to a actual original cd so it can't be quality. One song slams the next I turn the nob the slightest bit up from 0 and it makes that pop/slap noise. If someone knows what this issue is information would be greatly appreciated.

could it be things vibrating against each other? I had this awful sound that was as if the sub was bottoming out but it was actually the rear top brake light on the deck that was bouncing up and down on the metal frame. Fixed that and the problem went away.

could it beings vibrating against each other? I had this awful sound that was as if the sub was bottoming out but it was actually the rear top brake light on the deck that was bouncing up and down on the metal frame. Fixed that and the problem went away.
I don't believe so. im 99% sure it's the subs.

if it is the subs ,they can be sent back under warranty . the xfl subs have 2 dust caps ,one under the one you see . the inner one may have come loose and thats the slapping you hear

if it is the subs ,they can be sent back under warranty . the xfl subs have 2 dust caps ,one under the one you see . the inner one may have come loose and thats the slapping you hear
Do you think it would be that? Im pretty sure i have everything set correctly. One of the songs I listened to today was so bad i couldnt even turn the gain up a quarter without hearing the noise.

It's possible I've had it happen before. Ill call American bass tomorrow and see what bob wants us to do Shouldn't be a problem. And the box is a start mountain box. Guys

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

joey13091

joey13091
Washington
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
joey13091