Is this legal?

Participant count
  • Participant list

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Have to get a thinner third brake light in my car so I can fit my M4a on the ceiling //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Is it legal to have an LED strip like this for your third brake light in Illinois? Googled it and couldn't find that specific answer. If any of you have done this or know about it, please let me know.

3rd%20brake%20light%202.jpg

BMW-6-Series-Gran-Coupe-08s.jpg

16749rear2.jpg

Don't see why not. They come factory on cars already. But DOT laws are tricky about OEM VS aftermarket. But I would think it should not be a problem.

Ok, thanks. I was just wondering because it was not stock.

I didn't want to give anyone a reason to pull me over and/or write me a ticket

Call the police and ask them.
Decided to just put LED's in the stock third battery light so I could make it thinner, while still keeping the stock look and brightness.

If you're asking legal advice here you need to get your head checked.
First of all, I put it in the general discussion section, not the thunderdome.

Second of all, I figured that there was someone else on this forum who relocated their third battery light or changed it to LED's.

After all, there are a lot of vehicle modifications done by members of this forum. I don't see why it was wrong for me to ask this here.

Thanks, I went a different direction with the idea

I looked at it. Only thing I'm doing is changing out the stock bulb with LED's. I'm not doing a strip of them anymore
Oh ok. You should have no problem man. Going darker I would see being a issue, but not this. Let me know how it turns out for ya

Oh ok. You should have no problem man. Going darker I would see being a issue, but not this. Let me know how it turns out for ya
I will. Next step is to get the third layer of wood bolted to my ceiling and do my power/ground runs. Then I can hook my amp back up

Laws differ from state to state and county/city. Up here, they're very picky over stupid things. Long time ago, I had just put on clear tailights on my blazer and got pulled over the next day and was told wasn't allowed. Needless to say, I later sold them and reinstalled the original ones. I later found some carbon fiber ones that I liked and no problems afterwards.

Sounds/looks like you got it made. But just in case, I'd look into your states law or county/city to see if it's legal and what isn't. Sure the newer vehicles have those lengthly 3rd brakelights but it could be something stupid like it can be only so many inches in length....if you catch my drift.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

adulbrich

5,000+ posts
Olive oil un-virginer
adulbrich
Ames, Iowa
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date