Is there a big diff between feeding 200WRM v. 300WRMS to an RE SR10 (300WRMS)?

Participant count
  • Participant list

beyap
10+ year member

What's the optimal amp wattage to feed a sub? Should it be exact, i.e. 300WRMS for a 300WRMS sub? What percentage underpower is negligible? I have an RF t400-4 (200WRMS bridged) that i plan to hook up to my RE SR10 and i'm thinking if i should power it with 300WRMS (sell the t400-4 and get another amp) instead... would the additional 100WRMS make a big diff or am i better off as is?

if anything you can usually run a little bit mroe power than rated (as long as its clean and assuming its a decent brand)... running less power isnt really bad (and i dont care what anoyne says too little power doesnt break speakers) they just wont be as loud... and to answer your question... no 100 watts wont be a huge difference...

for every 3db's is about doubling the power... so you'd be gaining like 1 db? for how much money? ya know, it probaly wont be worth it... i only recommend upgrading to at least double your current power... assumign your sub can handle it

if anything you can usually run a little bit mroe power than rated (as long as its clean and assuming its a decent brand)... running less power isnt really bad (and i dont care what anoyne says too little power doesnt break speakers) they just wont be as loud... and to answer your question... no 100 watts wont be a huge difference...
for every 3db's is about doubling the power... so you'd be gaining like 1 db? for how much money? ya know, it probaly wont be worth it... i only recommend upgrading to at least double your current power... assumign your sub can handle it
well...i would respectfully disagree. He would be adding about 50% more power and thats pretty significant at lower volumes. I would say that at higher wattage you are pretty correct but in the low range any power adder should be pretty noticable.

for some reason i was doing 300 into 400 in my head and coming up with 33% more power lol

anyway while bones is more right than me, i still think if you do buy another amp.. buy more than you need and just be careful with the gains/volume... if that sub is rated at 300 and re, im sure it can probaly take at least a little more..

but either way, in the long run if you ever need more power for another sub or something, you have it instead of buying another amp..again...

Thanks for the quick response guys! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Now the tough part, how much more can i spend //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif and how much more watts should i get... //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eek.gif.771b7a90cf45cabdc554ff1121c21c4a.gif

An RF T600-4 and alpine pdx-5 (what i am considering) doesn't seem like much of an upgrade now (only plus is its a 1 amp solution that's compact size) especially given the price of those things.

My other choices are a kicker 550.3 or an RF p300-1 and p200-2 both which puts out 400+WRMS @ 2ohms for the sub and would probably be cheaper...

What do you guys think?

If anyone has any of these or something similar that they wanna sell me cheaply, feel free to PM me. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.