Is the bass in some rap in some rap songs distorted in the studio?

While the majority of other songs sound great on my system I have noticed that some rap songs sound like crap because of the bass. The bass is loud and sloppy, or in short, kind of distorted. An example is "Come and See Me" by PartyNextDoor and Drake. I have heard that some producers purposely distort the 808's, is that true? I can't blame this on a box as I'm still sealed.

While the majority of other songs sound great on my system I have noticed that some rap songs sound like crap because of the bass. The bass is loud and sloppy, or in short, kind of distorted. An example is "Come and See Me" by PartyNextDoor and Drake. I have heard that some producers purposely distort the 808's, is that true? I can't blame this on a box as I'm still sealed.
i just played that song on my house system and it sounded like s hit as well. im pretty sure its like song as well. i dont know why they would want a song with s hit bass but they did lol

your vehicle acoustics come to play as well. A sealed box doesnt save you from bad acoustics. That song sounds fine in my HT system no distortion or anything sounding like crap. The HT sub is ported as well.

distortion and clipping are not the same things. If thats true than all of metal music is considered clipping //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/rolleyes.gif.c1fef805e9d1464d377451cd5bc18bfb.gif

It must be a combination. Some of the song having ****** bass mixing and accoustics of a sedan. I've deadened what I could without taking the whole **** car apart with Roadkill. I've got it on both front doors, enough of the rear deck and what I could of the trunk (a fair amount of the bottom half of the trunk lid is covered with thick wires and **** I couldn't get it under so I just got it around it lol) so some rattles or what have you are prob escaping adding to it. And Jeff, it is def isn't clipping, my previous amp was nice enough to show me how that sounds. Most of my music sounds awesome, and the few rap songs like this one sound bad even at lower volumes. Metal bass comes in punchy and clear, just how it should //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

It must be a combination. Some of the song having ****** bass mixing and accoustics of a sedan. I've deadened what I could without taking the whole **** car apart with Roadkill. I've got it on both front doors, enough of the rear deck and what I could of the trunk (a fair amount of the bottom half of the trunk lid is covered with thick wires and **** I couldn't get it under so I just got it around it lol) so some rattles or what have you are prob escaping adding to it. And Jeff, it is def isn't clipping, my previous amp was nice enough to show me how that sounds. Most of my music sounds awesome, and the few rap songs like this one sound bad even at lower volumes. Metal bass comes in punchy and clear, just how it should //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
mainly acoustics. My vehicle acoustics does fine with everything else except for some rap songs like YG - who do you love(chorus part) but that song comes out squeaky clean in the home theater. but hits like pure garbage in the vehicle. Tested with both sealed and ported. low tuned ported actually did a lot better than sealed however its still in the realm of not listenable to my ears.

You need to realize that there will always be a delay with in vehicle setups especially trunk setups. due to all the things getting in the way and your subs having to fire towards the trunk. Doesnt matter if its sealed there will always be delay and some form of cancellation making your bass sound like garbage on a few songs. The best you can do is just avoid them. Deadening doesnt magically make it disappear its the shape of your vehicle and the overall design, you cant fight that.

Yeah, I agree about compression. Other genres are usually fine at 192kbps bit rate, but rap can def be a hit or miss at that rate.

Jeff: I have learned to accept that a sedan isn't optimal for a sub haha. I actually was about to build a ported box until I replaced my battery and got a better LOC. Do you think a going from 1 cuft to 1.5 cuft sealed box will help me get a more full or natural sound out of my Kappa? It sounds a little choked IMO even tho it's seeing 150w over its RMS

Yeah, I agree about compression. Other genres are usually fine at 192kbps bit rate, but rap can def be a hit or miss at that rate.
Jeff: I have learned to accept that a sedan isn't optimal for a sub haha. I actually was about to build a ported box until I replaced my battery and got a better LOC. Do you think a going from 1 cuft to 1.5 cuft sealed box will help me get a more full or natural sound out of my Kappa? It sounds a little choked IMO even tho it's seeing 150w over its RMS
you can do 1.5 but its not gonna be a big difference main thing will be just a shift to a lower peak frequency Mainly a slight bandwidth shift, your group delay will be higher so it might get less tight. The best you can do is to bypass the trunk but that requires a lot of work.

you can do 1.5 but its not gonna be a big difference main thing will be just a shift to a lower peak frequency Mainly a slight bandwidth shift, your group delay will be higher so it might get less tight. The best you can do is to bypass the trunk but that requires a lot of work.
In that case, I'll probably just keep my current box. Kind of a stupid question, but is it possible to swap out the tweeters in my component set and still retain the crossover and mids from this JBL component set? If not, I'll have to save for a pair of Kappa comps.

In that case, I'll probably just keep my current box. Kind of a stupid question, but is it possible to swap out the tweeters in my component set and still retain the crossover and mids from this JBL component set? If not, I'll have to save for a pair of Kappa comps.
Better if you give up on components completely and actually do active network setup and pay for quality drivers rather than sh*tty drivers with sh*tty crossovers. Sorry its just no component set under 200 has impressed me and i've basically heard them all. They easily get outclassed by some cheap pwx with any pair of 92 db sensitivity silk domes ran active by FAR.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.