Is my head unit still good?

Participant count
  • Participant list

675R
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Regular
US
I have a Pioneer DEH-510UB. It was a pretty high end model, 2 years ago.

Now I'm wondering, is it still good? I just ordered Boston Acoustics SC65's and SC95's, no amp or subs. Just want better sound without shelling out the big bucks.

Thanks for any help guys.

still an ok deck ,just might have issues on the new iphones ,thats about it and no pandora
Yeah, with iOS 4, it just didn't recognize the device, but still played fine. Just making sure there wasn't something better/more powerful to power my speakers.

I'm looking at the 9887, and it seems to have the same specs as my Pioneer, sorry, I'm pretty new to the music scene.

Looks like they have the same peak (50Wx4) and same RMS output (18Wx4)

Will there be a noticeable difference? Because money doesn't grow on trees :0

prolly not enough that you can tell , being a noob.i personally like the pioneers better.better cd cage,easier to navigate the unit too
Allright, thanks for your help, guess I'll keep it until I decide to amp it or something.

Any tips on getting the best sound from it? Settings and stuff?

amp all the speakers thats what i did on my avhp 4200.then i set my low pass ,one at 65 hz the other at 80,at -6 the the mids at + 2 and highs at + 4,loudness on high high pass on 200 i think,sla up , and bass boost up.its loud as hell and i dont burn coils then i adjust my amps accordingly.thats just my preferance

I'm looking at the 9887, and it seems to have the same specs as my Pioneer, sorry, I'm pretty new to the music scene.
Looks like they have the same peak (50Wx4) and same RMS output (18Wx4)

Will there be a noticeable difference? Because money doesn't grow on trees :0
RMS and peak power of a headunit is not all that matters when comparing models. Look at the feature set as well. The 9887 has time alignment, slope, active capable and a bunch of other features.

Allright, thanks for your help, guess I'll keep it until I decide to amp it or something.
Any tips on getting the best sound from it? Settings and stuff?
Best sound will come from the 9887. Set the time alignment properly, etc. However getting the best of what you have will require sound deadener. The install is 90%. You can have the best equipment but it will only be as good as the installation. If the install stinks so will the best speakers in terms of sound. On the flip side you can take junky speakers and make them sound decent in a proper installation.

So you guys would reccommend the 9887 over anything else in that price range right now? I'm gonna Dynamat my doors, but I can't really afford much else if I get a new HU.

So you guys would reccommend the 9887 over anything else in that price range right now? I'm gonna Dynamat my doors, but I can't really afford much else if I get a new HU.
I wouldnt say that. Depends on your budget. There is also better product than Dynamat.

What is your budget for headunit and deadener?

I wouldnt say that. Depends on your budget. There is also better product than Dynamat.
What is your budget for headunit and deadener?
I've already purchased a Dynamat door kit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

But I can probably scrounge up like 300$ and I could probably get a little more if my friend buys this old head unit.

I've already purchased a Dynamat door kit //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif
But I can probably scrounge up like 300$ and I could probably get a little more if my friend buys this old head unit.
Should be plenty. You can generally find a used and great condition 9887 for around $200. Another consideration is the Eclipse CD7000 or a Pioneer PRS880 or PRS800 depending on which style you like. What features are you looking for? USB, iPod, etc.?

Should be plenty. You can generally find a used and great condition 9887 for around $200. Another consideration is the Eclipse CD7000 or a Pioneer PRS880 or PRS800 depending on which style you like. What features are you looking for? USB, iPod, etc.?
All I need is iPod, and nice radio. THis is going into an unamped car, so is it worth it?

All I need is iPod, and nice radio. THis is going into an unamped car, so is it worth it?
Will absolutely make a difference. The headunit is the beginning of the entire sound system and because of this the most important piece. The 9887 is easy for iPod controls. For $220ish you can get the 9887 and the KCE-422i cord shipped to you. The remainder can be spent on deadener.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.