is my Ford Ranger powerfull enough for 2000 watts stock?

Participant count
  • Participant list
I have a 98 ford ranger XLT 4.0 liter all stock basically and im getting a new sub amp box setup for christmas. Will I need to run another battery or dual alternator or anything dramatic to push

- SUB 1 Power Acoustik Mofo 122x dual voice coil 2 ohm speaker its 1500 watt rms and 2700 watt peak power,

- AMP the amp i matched it up with is a Boss PH4000D 4000W Max Phantom Series Class D Monoblock Power Amplifier, RMS Power Rating: 4 ohms: 1600 watts x 1 chan. 2 ohms: 3000 watts x 1 chan.

- WIRE Belva BAK02, 0/1 Gauge. anyone know anything about this it came in a bundle so i figured id grab it

Just curious if this setup is gonna burn up my alternator or batter or both. i talked to guy at a stereo shop and he was trying to hustle me big time saying i need like 1500 dollars worth of work to push that after buying all the speaker and amp and wire, i thought that sounded like total overkill....

PS i know my amp is kinda overkill but i will end up getting better subs sooner or later the amp will be turned down pretty low.

THANKS for any input you have //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif im also interested in whats a a good box for this setup if you have any input. thanks and have a good day and happy holidays to yall.

that amp is no where near 2000 watts man. You are lucky if it does 400 actual watts. You are basically buying a lot of junk gear(garbage tier actually) of questionable quality that can fail on you anytime and the price performance ratio is really bad.

Still if you already have it, then stick with for now, you'll need the big 3 upgrade. google it up.

However, for the box, you might want a custom made box with specs that can work with future subs.

The sub and amp are bad. There's no other way around it. The power on both is over-rated. Your stock electrical will be fine, because you will not see 2000 watts at any point.

There are much better options out there. If you would like suggestions, we can help you out.

A good box is a custom made box, shops will charge you 500-700 bucks for one so thats out of the question. See if you can find a local builder or build one yourself if you have the tools, if not, contact a member on the forum, his name is @Boomsday ; he does not charge for labor, just materials and shipping and does great work.

thanks for the input @Jeffdachef and @adulbrich
i did research and i read a bunch of good reviews on the sub and amp i thought theyd be decent but i guess it was a bunch of lame retards writing reviews. I am planning on making my own good custom box im good with tools and i have any tool you could possibly imagine within reach. if i put it in a good custom box would it at least sound good till i get a real sub and amp? and do i even really need to do the big 3 upgrade if im barely gonna bump it till i get real quality subs and amp? im gonna end up selling the garbage im getting if it dosent sound good. and ill have to talk to boomsday sounds like he can help me out on the box specs. thanks for your input im just getting into the big boy subs and stuff and its a whole new world to me what some decently priced good quality subs and amp???

[quote name='dirtbikekkiddo']thanks for the input @Jeffdachef and @adulbrich
i did research and i read a bunch of good reviews on the sub and amp i thought theyd be decent but i guess it was a bunch of lame retards writing reviews. I am planning on making my own good custom box im good with tools and i have any tool you could possibly imagine within reach. if i put it in a good custom box would it at least sound good till i get a real sub and amp? and do i even really need to do the big 3 upgrade if im barely gonna bump it till i get real quality subs and amp? im gonna end up selling the garbage im getting if it dosent sound good. and ill have to talk to boomsday sounds like he can help me out on the box specs. thanks for your input im just getting into the big boy subs and stuff and its a whole new world to me what some decently priced good quality subs and amp???[/QUOTE]

Here are some free designs and cutout sheet specs. *OFFICIAL* Free Ported Box Plans (56k NO!!) - Dodge SRT Forum
With that sub, try 2.7 cubic feet and 32 hz tuning. thats the box specs for this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0yh0eHGiWQ

Big 3 upgrade is always recommend it to help your vehicle's electrical system work more efficiently, do it whenever possible if you are planning on running better wattage.

soundsolutionsaudio.com is a good place to start for quality competition level gear. avoid brands like power acoustik, boss audio, legacy, pyramid, crunch, autotek, planet audio, sound storm labs, performance technique, lower end lanzars etc..

ok sweet the big 3 makes total sense, i dont know why i never though of that duhhhh. so i dont need to mess with another alternator or extra battery on this low budget garbage setup i have ? i will do the big 3 and i think ill be good, imma get a voltage meter too and just keep an eye on it, and make sure im not burning anything up. does that sound reasonable for now ? @Jeffdachef

[quote name='dirtbikekkiddo']ok sweet the big 3 makes total sense, i dont know why i never though of that duhhhh. so i dont need to mess with another alternator or extra battery on this low budget garbage setup i have ? i will do the big 3 and i think ill be good, imma get a voltage meter too and just keep an eye on it, and make sure im not burning anything up. does that sound reasonable for now ? @Jeffdachef[/QUOTE]

yes you should be fine since the alts on those cars are pretty beefy, as long as the current flows smoothly your voltages should be higher then 12.8 on idle as long as you are not clipping.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.