Is it worth amping speakers?

downsider
10+ year member

HELL
I have a alpine 9813 h/u, infinity reference 6.5 comps and crystal audio 6.5 speakers. I'm running all the speakers off my headunit right now, but was thinking about amping them. What is the advantage of this, will it make the speakers sound better? I was just planning on buying a jbl80.4 for the job, but wanted your opinions first. Why do a lot of you amp your speakers? I don't especially need the bass, i have subs.

Thanks for your time, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

i'm amping mine to get a fuller sound out of my 6x9's. my head unit was crappin out at higher volume and it basically sounded like nothing but bass and highs. i needed that midrange.

JBL is fine. Amp them because:

A) - most head units don't have an option to crossover their outputs (there are exceptions, if yours has crossovers, ignore this reason!). The head-unit-driven speakers are still playing the low frequencies, and since they can't handle it, they're distorting like mad at higher volume.

B) - head unit power is WAY overrated, no matter who you get. Their ratings are always max, and even the RMS listings are at very high THD's (distortion levels). More power in high-frequency speakers = more potential volume, but more importantly, more clarity at the same volume.

C) - Head unit output is set to clip at (dependent upon make & model) usually around 2/3 volume. After this point, any audio is going to sound like crap. With an amplifier, you can set so that you can crank all the way up without distortion. Or, if you want to get a bit of extra volume, clip at just below full. Plus, this gives you much more flexibility to match volume levels with your sub system.

Just a few reasons to chew on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Not saying it's necessary - my wife's ride just has a small subwoofer system and a hu with built-in crossovers running speakers .. But myself, I'd never be able to live with that //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Thanks you guys. I've heard that a lot of people amp their speakers, but was always wondering why they did. Thanks again.

By rule and past experience headunits do NOT put out very good power. Thats not what they are meant to do, just put out the source signal. Wether you need the bass or not amp them mother forkers. They will sound WAY better. Have you ever heard of mid-bass? Mid-bass is a big part of sound quality, as far as usac is concerned anyway. I myself love good mid-bass, and thats something you can't get with deck power. An amp to your comps or other fronts will give you a "fuller" sound. Trust us all, if you want good SQ, amp your front speakers or comps.

Adam

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/cool.gif.3bcaf8f141236c00f8044d07150e34f7.gif//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

I think I am going to go ahead and get that us acoustics amp. It is the same price as the jbl, and it sounds like you guys regard it as being a better amp. Thanks again

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.