is it possible?

if you had a sub and amp that are both rated at 1000 wrms....no matter how many volts you send to the amps....its going to put out 1000 watts. the only difference is that its sending a fuller, cleaner sound....not so much a louder sound.

Originally posted by bri487 wrong //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/nono.gif.eca61d170185779e0921b0faa9704973.gif

input sensitivty is an adjustment used to match up the signal level of the system to produce a desired level from the amp. while a gain is used to adjust the level of the amps output. and even if they were the same thing, then why do you think they put two seperate adjustments on the amp if they do the same thing?
I've never seen an amp with both sensitivity and gain adjustments. The amps I've used have all only had only one level control (per channel pair). Here on the forums it's always referred to as gain, although sensitivity would probably be more accurate.

Originally posted by fantomas if you had a sub and amp that are both rated at 1000 wrms....no matter how many volts you send to the amps....its going to put out 1000 watts. the only difference is that its sending a fuller, cleaner sound....not so much a louder sound.
An amplifier is a voltage source:
Vout = Vin X Av, where Av is a term called Voltage Gain.

The more input you give an amp, the more output it produces... up to the point where it can't put out any more without clipping.

The purpose of a gain (sensitivity //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif ) control is to allow the amp to reach full undistorted output with the amount of input being provided by the HU. If you have 2 volts in, you need more gain than with 5 volts in. As long as 2 volts is within the adjustment range of the sens control, having 5 volts doesn't get you more output.

hey thanks to all who answered to this subject 4 me. i understand a little better now. im not really expecting a big diff when i swap out these hu's, but i would be quite pleased if the sound was a lot cleaner. hopefully i'll notice something cuz this lo-end model pioneer is sounding like crap. maybe with eclipse i will notice some type of difference, enough to be a lil' impressed by:confused: btw, amp that was powering subs was bd1500, and subs were 2 mtx 6k's in an mtx box. sealed, with both subs in same chamber. if u press 1, the other moves, whatever type of enclosure that is. 250w rms for each sub, 750rms for amp.

Originally posted by maylar I've never seen an amp with both sensitivity and gain adjustments. The amps I've used have all only had only one level control (per channel pair). Here on the forums it's always referred to as gain, although sensitivity would probably be more accurate.
ever used JL's or Zapco's, or PPI's (i know this thread is old)

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.