Is it possible to test an amp without power?

Participant count
  • Participant list

evil_lies

Texas
So I found a hell of a deal on an Alpine PDX-M6 at a local pawn shop. It was marked 'as is' and is missing the fuses and it looks like the connections for speaker outs. Is there a way I can test to see if the amp is blown if I brought my own fuses and maybe checked the resistivity? I know it may still have problems when I put power to it, I just want to see if there is a way to make sure it isn't completely fried. Also, who/where is a good place to get said amp repaired if it is needed? Any idea how much a typical amp repair bill is? Not sure it it's better just to pass on the deal (they want $20).

You'd best walk away from any amp if you're not allowed to see it powered up and functioning. The fact that the fuses are pulled to begin with is really sketchy. Amp repair guys typically charge 50-70$ an hour + parts + you'll pay for shipping two ways.... If it seems too good to be true, it probably is.

That's what I was thinking. I was about to offer the guy $5 just to see if he would bite, but they were busy and he was helping a lot of other people. Plus, I didn't think he would bite on my lowball offer.

That's what I was thinking. I was about to offer the guy $5 just to see if he would bite, but they were busy and he was helping a lot of other people. Plus, I didn't think he would bite on my lowball offer.
To get the speaker piece will be at least $20-$30 and if it's missing the power one expect $40.

After looking at it online, it does include both the speaker and power adapters. There are no fuses though, which worries me. Don't know if someone tried to put power to it without them.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.