Is it possible to fry power wire?

LM950

Title says it all. Basically I got a more powerful amp for my subs and was still using the same walmart junk power wire (Maybe 12 gauge or something idk). After I bridged the amp to the subs and they were bumping for a little while the amp just shut off. All fuses were ok but when I pulled the power wire from the amp and it touched metal there were no sparks or anything like there was no current. What do you guys think?

I bought a new 1/0 gauge power wire but the fuse block fell in the engine compartment somewhere so I won't know for myself until this weekend when I get a new one. I'm hoping the amp didn't fry it was only on for like 5 minutes.

Ummm

check fuse on engine?

and usually you want to get a volt meter...

Not put the wire to metal to see -.-

and your just going to leave a fuse block sitting in the engine compartment? -.-

Ummmcheck fuse on engine?

and usually you want to get a volt meter...

Not put the wire to metal to see -.-

and your just going to leave a fuse block sitting in the engine compartment? -.-
It fell somewhere under the hood next to the battery. I tried for like 45 minutes to find it but couldn't see it anywhere, but maybe it fell out somewhere while I was driving. And it was just the fuse that went inside the plastic holder along with one of the ends that holds it onto the wire.

But I checked the fuse inline from the battery to the amp. I checked both amp fuses. They both looked good. I even tried to jumpstart it by connecting the remote wire to the power wire terminal and that gave no results.

Title says it all. Basically I got a more powerful amp for my subs and was still using the same walmart junk power wire (Maybe 12 gauge or something idk). After I bridged the amp to the subs and they were bumping for a little while the amp just shut off. All fuses were ok but when I pulled the power wire from the amp and it touched metal there were no sparks or anything like there was no current. What do you guys think?
I bought a new 1/0 gauge power wire but the fuse block fell in the engine compartment somewhere so I won't know for myself until this weekend when I get a new one. I'm hoping the amp didn't fry it was only on for like 5 minutes.
take it to someone and have them check it out.

When I was a kid I saw this knuckle head not put a fuse by the battery. Long story short he grounded out the power wire by the amp and had a nice burn mark running the length of the power wire on the carpet in his car.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/eyebrow.gif.fe2c18d8720fe8c7eaed347b21ea05a5.gif
Lol I know I'm just as confused as you are, but I think the wire just burned out. After I just picked up the old wire I noticed what looked like a black burn mark and there was a long strip where the red insulation looked like it turned yellowish. At least that's what I'm hoping it is, tired of looking for amps on a budget.

Lol I know I'm just as confused as you are, but I think the wire just burned out. After I just picked up the old wire I noticed what looked like a black burn mark and there was a long strip where the red insulation looked like it turned yellowish. At least that's what I'm hoping it is, tired of looking for amps on a budget.
If your wire burned out youd have a burned car

wires dont just "burn out"

replace the fuse on the engine....

even though it looks good it may not be.

But 12 gauge wire to run an amp is too small of wire in the first place

Ok found out today that I indeed can fry power wire as that's what I did, but got some 4 gauge and now everything is good. Now here's another question I have this amp Rockford Fosgate P4004 Punch series 4-channel car amplifier 50 watts RMS x 4 at Crutchfield.com which has a switch from 2 to 4 channels. Both channels have the little diagram showing how to bridge them, is it safe to bridge both the front speaker terminals to one sub and the rear speaker terminals to one sub and run in 4 channel mode? My speakers are 200 watt 4 ohm each.

can you video it, i want to see a car burn
lol..

OP, do some more reading around here and on car audio in general. would really hate to see naughtyca's wishes come true... unless it was on video...

got pics of the burnt out wire?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.