Ipod, USB flash drive(s), or USB HD?

Chad T
10+ year member

Indiana
I just got a Kenwood KDC-X693 head unit and am trying to figure out if I want to get an Ipod Classic, USB flash drive(s), or USB HD to interface with it. I've played around with a small USB flash drive that I had laying around and that seems to work great, however, I need more capacity as I potentially might rip my entire CD collection (500+ CDs). I'm an "old timer" who still mainly listens to CDs, so this is an area I could use some help in.

Thoughts? Pros/cons? Of those 3 options, which offers the best sound quality?

Thanks.

If you are talking 100's of cds, then you should go with the ipod. Most decks with usb don't have a good way to handle file structure, meaning that you have to click through all the disks instead of choosing the one you want.

You can buy USB harddrives that hold a terabyte for $200
USB def has better SQ depending on your chosen file format, which is endless with a fuvkin terrabyte

i agree usb but i have yet to see the hu that can handle a 1tb drive.

I dunno how the usb in your guys decks work, but in mine, if I have 500 albums and I want to listen to the last one, I would have to skip past 499 folders to find the right one....

Do you guys have mult-level folder structure in your decks?

I have an alpine HU with the usb port on it and love it for ease of use and quick swapping of sticks for more capacity as mine only reads up to 2 gigs. I've found that if you make folders for each artist going thru your list is alot easier or you can make types of music in certain folders. The output is every bit as loud as my CD's play so its quite clean sounding.

a 2.5" drive can be powered by usb, but make sure the usb port on the deck puts out enough power for it. most times you need two ports to power them

usb stick will use the least power and be the most rugged for mobile use, but will have less capacity for the cost

do you really need all 500 cd's available?

if those were my only options i would use a few 32gb usb sticks. maybe split them up into artist, genre or decades

unless you want to use a laptop, itouch and the "remote" app...

I have been using sticks, 8g is the break price on most of them right now. but there are 16 32 and 64's The clarion decks lets you up down on folders have not tried a multi layer, ramdom and never touch it again. I use CD's when I want a few fav songs or my show off songs.

Thanks for the replies.

Not much love for the Ipod so far.

Before I posted I was actually kinda leaning towards USB flash drives. Regarding my CD collection, I actually have probably around 600 to 700, but I probably listen to maybe 200 or 300 the most. The others rarely get played. If I were to rip to high bit rate MP3, if my math is correct, I could probably get 8 full CDs per GB. If I went with 16GB sticks (appears they can be bought for around $25 to $40 each), that would be around 128 albums per flash drive. So I could probably fit most of what I listen to onto 2 or 3 sticks. Or I could maybe even get by with just one 32GB stick. I also like how I could put a flash drive on the head unit's pigtail cable, then easily tuck it behind a dash panel behind my transmission housing.....and not worry about it.

I did a few test rips and organized it to where each artist got a separate folder, then each album got another folder, then each song got a separate file. That seemed to work pretty well with my Kenwood, but I'm still learning and know enough just to be dangerous. lol.

Thoughts?

i just ordere the SAME exact unit.. i think imma run my ipod touch on it, but i also have a 8gb flashdrive that may stay hooked up also..

I'm getting the impression that the consensous here is that an ipod doesn't have the sound quality of a cd, is that right?? Are most of you guys using cd's vs an ipod or zune?? Just curious. I have an ipod with a grom aux input, works fine for me, and easier to use that swapping cd's all the time, haven't noticed SQ issues other than some songs aren't as loud as others, but have noticed the original cd's were that way, not the ipod's fault in any way??

Id suggest usb also. My unit has a usb cord that runs out of the back of it and I run it off my sidkick which only has about 2gb of music. Im wanting to upgrade to a stick somtime so I can just leave it in my car

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.