iPod distorts eclipse aux in

kfs27

NJ
i just got a brand new iPod with the dock. the dock has a line out which is the main reason i got it. so i don't have to worry about the headphone jack causing distortion. well the exact opposite is the problem. the line out bypasses the volume control. and the output must be hot enough that it distorts at the head unit.

when i looked in the book the speccs about the aux input on the head unit had a o with a | thru it that said 3.5 and someone said that might mean impedence. i can't find any information on the iPod's line out from the books. i'm going to get on the phone with apple to try to get some more details.

is there something i can do to lower the level so it doesn't distort the head unit?

Originally posted by kfs27 i just got a brand new iPod with the dock. the dock has a line out which is the main reason i got it. so i don't have to worry about the headphone jack causing distortion. well the exact opposite is the problem. the line out bypasses the volume control. and the output must be hot enough that it distorts at the head unit.

when i looked in the book the speccs about the aux input on the head unit had a o with a | thru it that said 3.5 and someone said that might mean impedence. i can't find any information on the iPod's line out from the books. i'm going to get on the phone with apple to try to get some more details.

is there something i can do to lower the level so it doesn't distort the head unit?
chances are the line out is not caring adequete volatage and distorts as a result of having to amplify the signal so much.....either a line out converter / amplifier / voltage regultor (sorry I am not sure of the proper term) may up the voltage enough so the head unit can use it....be aware that there is little hope of making that sound as good as a cd....

try using just the normal headphone jack, as long as you dont turn the ipod all the way up you should be good.

btw- how are the newer ones? i have the first generation ones and i like it a lot- only problem i have with it is that it wont let u customize eq presets. i want one of the new ones to run in my car...but dont think ill have the money for it antim soon.

-pat

well the whole point of line out is to not send a powered signal. and the dock just makes things easier, it's part of the reason i bought the dam thing...i really want to use the dock.

the new ones have some glitches there are blips between tracks and when you hit pause, but they arne't that bad.

but one big beef is that if you hit forward and back tracks quickly. sometimes the left and right channels switch, that's just plain f'd up

i love the new buttons and the new wheel. i just wish they had a black model to match my dash. i'm considering painting it.

the 3.5 is the size of the plug that fits into the jack in mm. Standard headphones/line-in/out plugs are 3.5mm in diameter.

heh. dumb. the symbol in the front of the 3.5 didn't really look like one that meant mm to me, but yer probably right...

someone recommended a resistor...any electronics guys out there? i dunno about that stuff

Originally posted by kfs27 heh. dumb. the symbol in the front of the 3.5 didn't really look like one that meant mm to me, but yer probably right...

someone recommended a resistor...any electronics guys out there? i dunno about that stuff
The symbol is probably just a symbol used to represent the type of jack.

As for the resistor, It would work, as long as the problem is caused by over-voltage. if the problem is to low a voltage for the system to maintain a clean signal - then a resister won't work

I've been doin a little thinking. If the sound itself is distorted, then Overvoltage is the most probable cause.

If its just a lot of distortion (not the music itself) it might be a problem between the i-pod and the HU. I remember hooking a PC up to my Car's system once, and there was so much noise you couldn't even hear what was playing. The problem turned out to be in the ground system. The PC's ground wasn't connected to the Cars ground, causing a G-loop. Try grounding teh I-pods dock directly to the car

there is no noise with other devices, just the ipod dock. i can use the ipod's headphone out and there is no noise

interesting. hmm, the best recommendation is to set the I-pod Headphone volume low and use that. Maybe mark on the volume where you have it set for best performance so that it can be easily reset (or maybe tape if you only use it in your car).

but i want to use the fricken line out. that's the whole reason i got the new ipod the dock is perfect for my car

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.