Iphone style touchscreen!

Well I love it when I answer my own question, it's called optical imaging here ya go,

--------------------------------

Optical imaging

A relatively-modern development in touchscreen technology, two or more image sensors are placed around the edges (mostly the corners) of the screen. Infrared backlights are placed in the camera's field of view on the other sides of the screen. A touch shows up as a shadow and each pair of cameras can then be triangulated to locate the touch or even measure the size of the touching object (see visual hull). This technology is growing in popularity, due to its scalability, versatility, and affordability, especially for larger units.

--------------------------------

So from what I understand one could use a actual piece of cut glass for the panel, a google search for "optical imaging usb" will yield a few companies that make the sensors.

iphone uses a capacitive touch screen

A capacitive touchscreen panel is coated with a material, typically indium tin oxide, that conducts a continuous electrical current across the sensor.[3][4] The sensor therefore exhibits a precisely controlled field of stored electrons in both the horizontal and vertical axes - it achieves capacitance. The human body is also an electrical device which has stored electrons and therefore also exhibits capacitance. Capacitive sensors work based on proximity, and do not have to be directly touched to be triggered. It is a durable technology that is used in a wide range of applications including point-of-sale systems, industrial controls, and public information kiosks. It has a higher clarity than Resistive technology, but it only responds to finger contact and will not work with a gloved hand or pen stylus unless the stylus is conductive and transmits the user's capacitance. Capacitive touch screens can also support Multitouch. Examples include Apple Inc.'s iPhone and iPod touch, and HTC's T-Mobile G1.

dont know anything about the infrared ones, might be the same

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.