Interesting issues wiring my RCA to my amp...

Participant count
  • Participant list
Hey guys, I'm having an odd issue at the moment....

I have a pioneer deck that has three RCA outputs (Front, Rear, Subwoofer)

I have two amps in my car.

One is for the subwoofer, pretty easy to figure where to run that RCA.

The other is for the four speakers. (4 channel)

I currently have two RCA's coming from the "front" and "rear" on the HU coming to the amplifier and connecting with a "Y" for the white and red. (To clarify I mean 2 RCA coming from HU joined together to one input RCA location for my amp)

The issue i'm having is, only my rear speakers are playing... I've checked all the connections for the speaker wire going from the speakers to the amp... I've tried every combination of the RCA cables... (only plugging one in vs both). I even took the front speakers and wired them to the rear speakers on the amp. (Still only the back played)...

I'm pretty lost with this issue, I think maybe the amp may be damaged? I really don't know any further trouble shooting I can try... any advice dear experts?

Hey guys, I'm having an odd issue at the moment....
I have a pioneer deck that has three RCA outputs (Front, Rear, Subwoofer)

I have two amps in my car.

One is for the subwoofer, pretty easy to figure where to run that RCA.

The other is for the four speakers. (4 channel)

I currently have two RCA's coming from the "front" and "rear" on the HU coming to the amplifier and connecting with a "Y" for the white and red. (To clarify I mean 2 RCA coming from HU joined together to one input RCA location for my amp)

The issue i'm having is, only my rear speakers are playing... I've checked all the connections for the speaker wire going from the speakers to the amp... I've tried every combination of the RCA cables... (only plugging one in vs both). I even took the front speakers and wired them to the rear speakers on the amp. (Still only the back played)...

I'm pretty lost with this issue, I think maybe the amp may be damaged? I really don't know any further trouble shooting I can try... any advice dear experts?
Is the amp for the speakers a 4 channel amp? If so, why use y adapters?

I like the irony of your screen name //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Post the model numbers of your HU & amplifiers. (edit) and speakers

You should not need y-adapters in the install you are describing.

I suspect you might be trying to bridge your amp for some reason, but if you have a 4-channel amp & 4 speakers then running it as 4-channels is almost always going to be your best configuration. Don't be fooled by the larger power numbers when bridged - if you are running 4 speakers the actual sound power into your cabin is the same.

I was only connecting the front speakers on the back channel just to see if it would work. I wasn't trying to bridge it at all. This did not fix my issue though. I took the Y's out, I guess I was mistaken about that.

HU: avh-x2500bt

AVH-X2500BT - 2-DIN Multimedia DVD Receiver with 6.1" WVGA Touchscreen Display, MIXTRAX, Bluetooth®, and AppRadio Mode for iPhone® | Pioneer Electronics USA

Amp: KAC-8406

Kenwood KAC-8406 Performance Series 900W 4-Channel Amplifier

Speaker: KFC1695PS (all way round)

Car Audio & Video | Visions Electronics

You have speakers that can handle 75 W RMS each. Your amp can put out 70 W RMS per channel. Forget about bridging anything - it is not needed and will not add anything to your particular setup.

Connect the front R/L RCAs from the HU to channel "A" R/L inputs of the amp

Connect rear R/L RCA from HU to channel "B" R/L inputs of the amp

No y-cables needed

Connect one speaker per amp output Front-R, Front-L, Rear-R, Rear-L

Make sure you set your pioneer head unit RCA output mode correctly to enable all three pairs of RCA pre-outs (front, rear, sub)

Set both amp filters to HPF and set freq to 80Hz

Turn Bass Boost OFF

Set gains properly

and Bob's your uncle

Yes i'm well aware of that. Like I said I was only hooking all four speakers on the two channels to see if maybe the channel on the amp wasn't getting power... I really am lost as to why my front speakers aren't working though.

It's probably a HU setting actually, now that I think about it. Thanks! i'll try that

Sorry the HU I have is actually avh-x2600bt. Although I can't seem to find any setting that would change how many outputs it recognizes

Although on a third thought. When I first hooked it up, I hooked the RCA's the way you mentioned above. The front speakers were not playing, I then swapped the RCA on the 4 channel amp with each other and still only the back ones played.

If you really connected the front and rear RCAs from the HU together with a y-connector you probably blew one of the RCA output pico fuses, or shorted out the RCA output.

You simply never should do this and I don't understand why you did.

If you really wanted to test both the channels of your amp, then you would take one pair of RCA outputs (either front OR Rear) from the HU and split it into all inputs of the amp. But that is *not* what you wrote in your original post. So I don't really know WTF you did. But if you connected it as described in original post you probably killed one set of the HU outputs.

Last edited by a moderator:
does your amp have 2 gains ??

1 for ch 1/2 and another gain for ch3/4 ???

if so make sure both are about 1/2 way. that will let you know if that was it. then you can set both gains right.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.