installing 2 amps without a pass-thru???

Camryman

I'm going to install another amplifier in my '90 Camry. Right now I have a Rockford Fosgate Punch 100.2 (25W x 2 @ 4 ohms) - it does not have a pass-thru for hi-level inputs. The amp I'm looking at also does not have a pass-thru for high-level inputs. Can I simply put a Y-adaptor and split the left channel and split the right channel to each amp? Will that effectively cut the output volume of each amp by half if I do it that way? And if so, could I compensate by increasing the source level adjustment on my Pioneer H/U and increasing the gain for both amps?? Will I have degredation of sound quality?? Is that how it works??

Thanks,

Trav

You will compensate some SQ but not a whole lot. It will not cut the sound in half for both amps. You don't have 2 sets of RCA outs on your HU I take it? If you only have one RCA out, then I guess you don't have a lot of choices. Try the "Y" and see how it sounds. If you have 2 use them.

I was talking about hi-level input and outputs, but really I meant to be asking about RCA pass-thru and using and RCA Y connector. However, not to worry - yesterday, I went and got a 200W Jensen 2-ch amp with RCA input and output so that I could simply pass-thru to my Fosgate amp. I don't know the general opinion on Jensen, but the one I have rocks. It wasn't that expensive ($100) from Wal-Mart, and it has all the features I was looking for. I'm using the Fosgate to drive my Kappa 6x9 2-ways in the rear and the Jensen to drive the two Kappa 3.5" speakers in front dash and Sony Xplod 5.25" 3-way door speakers. The Jensen amp is really great for this because I have a LPF, Full, or HPF with variable x-over for each L and R channel. Therefore, no more distortion from all the bass being sent to the little 3.5" speakers. Plus, I can control the front and rear gain individually so that I actually have some front image, now.

Happy with my setup,

Trav

Im glad you found a way to suit your needs and your happy with it, but you could have used a eq and it would have done the trick for a cheaper price...

except that deck power is horribly dirty power, and decks only put out about 10 watts undistorted.....even jensen amplifier power is way way cleaner than deck power....an EQ added after the amps is a good idea....but he was way better off amping everything....

no, they are supposed to have one of the cleanest out put voltages IF you don't use those stupid EQ settings, like flat vocal etc....deck power no matter what is worthless...dirty dirty power....

The "V-drive" internal amp in my Alpine CDA-7873 (60w max, 27w RMS) puts out a pretty clean signal for a H/U. I was impressed. Of course the manual recomended wiring it to the batt like an amp, so it's got plenty of juice (8g power and ground).

Now the Alpine I got my GF (CDE-7872) is just a high output (50w max, 21w RMS), different internal amp... it doesn't sound nearly as good. It utilizes the factory wiring harness. *gag*

Dude you should for sure get an eq now I mean even a cheap one with sub out and speaker out with some extra rca would do alot for you....that way you can fine tune your speakers and what not to your hearing likes....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.