Installing 1fd cap...

getsumbaby
10+ year member

I bought a cap off of ebay and need help with installing it. I have never used one and am unsure how to do it.

The cap is digital, and has one (+) and one (-) post on it. Do I go from the battery + and - (or just +) to the cap and then from the + and - from the cap to the amp?

Thanks,

Ed

+ from battery to cap, + from cap to amp, the - should be grounded somewhere preferrably on the frame of the vehicle. I just used the same spot that I grounded the amp. Don't run a wire from the battery - to the cap -, don't need to do that.

Charging hints:

Unplug the main fuse to your system. Wire the cap and secure it. Then take a 12 volt light bulb (any size) with wires on it and put it across the fuse terminals. The light will be on bright at first, and get dimmer as the cap charges. The bigger the bulb, the faster it'll change. When the light goes out (or really dim) put the fuse back in. Done.

If you don't have a 12V test light (shame on you) then use a 10 ohm 10 watt resistor from Radio shack instead. It'll take less than a minute. The cap should say 12 volts if it has an indicator. If the fuse sparks and blows out when you put it in, you didn't wait long enough.

wait, so then how does a capacitor work? you have to charge it manually? doesn't it charge itself? what's the point of having it hooked up to your amp then!

what happens, like, if you lose power... then you have to charge it again?

what if i lose power, then try to play the system WITHOUT charging it again... will that damage it at all?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.