Installed head unit, car doesn't recognize key

npcout
10+ year member

PA
I have a 2015 Honda Fit. Got a new head unit installed by a car audio place I've always used. After the install, it won't recognize my key fob. I have a push start ignition. The only way for me to start my car is by taking the key fob and actually pressing it into the push start. Then, after I set the key down, it does a few beeps saying no key, but I can drive it at that point.

Can installing a new head unit do this? Is it a correctable issue? Do I have to take my car to the Honda dealership? I tried all keys, they all do the same thing. Also I replaced batteries in the key fob and it still does it.

I got a pioneer avh5800 installed.

Couple of possibilities, unplugging the BCM or a CAN network issue if the original HU was the CAN gateway. Either way the keys will need to be reprogrammed at the shop's expense.

Per my tech notes:

Honda has verified that if the panel is pulled forward the tension from the three plugs will unplug the antenna which will then cause the need for the module to be re-programmed at Honda for a charge of $115-$170 depending on the dealership. There is no way around the re-programming at Honda, but once this antenna has become unplugged the vehicle will not recognize the immobilizer in the PTS fob to start the vehicle. You will have to hold the key fob over the PTS button and then press it within 10 seconds to start the vehicle. Even after the vehicle is started it will not recognize the key is in the vehicle but the lock and unlock will work fine. This method will have to be done every time to start the car until the left front interior antenna is re-programmed.

Take this information back to your shop. It ***** for them, but it is a lesson learned. They should pay for it no questions asked.

EDIT: The forum blanks out S*cks? Are you kidding me? What kind of p*ssy a$$ forum has this turned into??

this is why you dont buy any of the stupid luxury features these honda dealers tag on. They are all extremely useless and outdated. What you can get on the market is 100x better for the same price. AKA alarm system with two way paging, lets you know if your alarm was activated even if you are a half a mile away, automatic smart phone start ETC.... you get the rest.

^^^ Still have to turn a key to turn the car though. I would gladly pay extra for PTS and the car unlocking when I put my hand in the door handle. It is a factory option, it may even be standard now for Honda's, but is def not something a dealer puts in.

Yes I know there is aftermarket ones - but there is reason a big name company doesn't make them.

I have an appointment with Honda tomorrow, just can't get this off my mind. Worst case, would buying a new aftermarket car starter and key fob kit be an option to correct this?

I have an appointment with Honda tomorrow, just can't get this off my mind. Worst case, would buying a new aftermarket car starter and key fob kit be an option to correct this?

That is not even an option on a brand new car. The shops MUST pay Honda to fix it. If not I would take to small claims. All shops should have insurance for situations like this. It happens to even the best installers.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.