Infinity Kappy 693.9l and 62.9l wiring questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

burgundy

TX
So I have recently installed a pair of the Kappa 62.9l 6.5s in the front and 693.9l in the rear of my 2011 Chevy Impala. They are currently powered by a HiFonics zxi80.4. I intend to replace the amp with a Rockford Fosgate T400.4. My question arises from the description of the speakers from the Infinity website. It says:

True Four Ohms— All Kappa speakers feature two ohm voice coils. Original factory-installed speaker wiring in many cars is 18-22 gauge. This wire, and heating in the voice coil when power is applied, increase the impedance “seen” by the amplifier or head unit. The impedance of Kappa Speakers has been adjusted to compensate for this increase and can be safely driven by any head unit.

and goes on to list the nominal impedance as 2ohms.

When I installed these I replaced some hifonics zxi693 and zxi63. They were 4ohm speakers. I figured when I installed the Kappas they would be placing a 2ohm load on the amp versus the previous set and thus draw roughly twice the power. However, I found that to not be the case. The way they are wired currently has each of the 4 positives and 4 negatives each going to their own terminal on the amp. Should I wire both positives and negatives of each pair in parallel. Just to clarify, in case I might be misusing that term, I mean the front pair would have both positives running to the pos on chan 1 and both negatives to the neg on chan 2. The same done with the back.

Additionally how do you think the new amp will compare to the former?

Nominal impedance is not the impedance the amplifier sees with music playing. This means it is not delivering twice as much power all the time comparing 2 ohm speakers to 4 ohm speakers on the same amplifier. Sometimes it will put out more power, but it depends on when the impedance drops below 4 ohms.

Don't wire the speakers in parallel. It will probably not work well with the amplifier when the impedance dips too low.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.