Inexperienced buyer needs help, good system under $300 or $400?

The Jam
10+ year member

CT
So guys, my grandpa is giving me his car for my birthday next month. It's an 03 or 04 Yukon XL I believe, and it has (I think) the Bose system. I'm interested in replacing the subwoofer and head unit at least, maybe speakers if I blow them out later.

I have a budget of what looks to be $3-400, so I'm looking at just getting the head unit, sub, amp for sub, and either a pre-fab enclosure or DIY (not sure which to do). I'd like something that can get loud with decent SQ, as well as being reliable (reliability is key). I listen to a lot of Dubstep, DnB, and the like if that helps.

Can anyone get me started on any of this, and make sure I'll have what I need? I was looking at some Alpine stuff, as well as some others.

Any help is appreciated.

Start by getting that alpine 9883 in the classifieds. Dudes getting rid of it for 50shipped. But on that budget, you'll be hard pressed finding good quality equipment. You also have to factor in install accessories like dash kit, wiring and stuff like that

ok first off get a box built by some tuned in the low 30's not a prefab, that wud be dumb, as for all the other equiptment, look around the classifieds and get a nice HU( pioneer,kenwood, or alpine) and look into Hybrid audio imagines for speakers. then save up a little more cash and get a nice amp to power them

Can't really buy stuff off the classifieds, but what kinda subs would you guys consider? Same with amps, that's most of my worry right now, I can probably build or get a box built for me.

Can't really buy stuff off the classifieds, but what kinda subs would you guys consider? Same with amps, that's most of my worry right now, I can probably build or get a box built for me.
Why can't you buy off classifieds?

Parents hate it when I buy stuff on forums, etc. Can't do anything about it, sorry.

Edit:

I understand it's going to be difficult, but can somebody at least give some suggestions for the sub+amp?

just buy an ssa dcon 12 and a alpine mrp m500 and call it good

91982]Parents hate it when I buy stuff on forums, etc. Can't do anything about it, sorry.

Edit:

I understand it's going to be difficult, but can somebody at least give some suggestions for the sub+amp?

Parents hate it when I buy stuff on forums, etc. Can't do anything about it, sorry.
Edit:

**** that. Have it shipped to your job, or a friends house.

**** that. Have it shipped to your job, or a friends house.
Haha yeah, that's what I might do.

Btw, does SSA do a good job on their enclosures, they're cheap and they look decent.

So guys, I was wondering, if I powered an SSA or Obsidian 12 with an MRP500 or something like that, would I be able to power it off of my stock alternator/battery? I'm worried about having to make electrical upgrades, mostly because I want to do this all myself... All I want to buy is a new HU, Amp, Sub, and that's about it.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.