In the market for a new amp, it's been a little while

Participant count
  • Participant list

Workin for DBs
10+ year member

Well it's been a couple years since I've posted. I've been happy with my set up until recently. Long story short, my Boston Acoustic gt2125 that was powering my components crapped out. Seemed surprising considering it's only 2 and a half years old. Yesterday I swapped it out with a Cadence zrs c9 amp, but the speakers sound terrible compared to when hooked up to the BA; maybe I just don't know how to tune the amp lol //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Anyway, I have morel maximo components, passive. I have cheap speakers in the back that haven't been amped. I'm hoping to find a solid 2 or 4 channel amp. I know before Class D amps sound quality wasn't considered as good as A/B, but it seems like more and more people are switching to D amps now...

I've been looking at a lot of the stuff on the SSA store, like US acoustic, crescendo, sundown of course, etc. I definitely wouldn't mind a BA amp again, although I'm not sure how I'd get one now.

So any suggestions...? looking to keep it around 300 but can go up, and probably don't need much more than 100 watts rms per channel. Like I said it's been a couple years so I'm feeling a little lost //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

Oh I might add, I'd prefer to buy new, not that the Classifieds here aren't great lol

Any other takers? I want to keep my options open for now, so any suggestions are good //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Side note: I'm surprised I'm so displeased with my Cadence amp, after reading about others being so happy. I messed with the amp last night for like 30 mins, and the speakers sound better than they did, but they still just sound so dead as compared to my BA. The mids and lows just have no juice

I'm a huge fan of full range Class D. I use Clarion XC6 amplifiers in my vehicle and it's a line of amplifiers I'm totally comfortable recommending. I have sold a lot of the Precision Power Phantom P600.2 and P900.4. The Clarions are more impressive for build quality and I think they look like a higher end product, but for power delivery the Phantoms are the better value. We have Clarion XC6210 in stock as well as the PPI Phantoms, excluding P900.5. Before heading off to eBay or what-have-you give us a chance.

I'm a huge fan of full range Class D. I use Clarion XC6 amplifiers in my vehicle and it's a line of amplifiers I'm totally comfortable recommending. I have sold a lot of the Precision Power Phantom P600.2 and P900.4. The Clarions are more impressive for build quality and I think they look like a higher end product, but for power delivery the Phantoms are the better value. We have Clarion XC6210 in stock as well as the PPI Phantoms, excluding P900.5. Before heading off to eBay or what-have-you give us a chance.
Lol don't worry I'm not running off to ebay anytime soon or ever. I just want to do my research thoroughly. How are class D amps in comparison to ABs now for SQ?

Lol don't worry I'm not running off to ebay anytime soon or ever. I just want to do my research thoroughly. How are class D amps in comparison to ABs now for SQ?
I'm not an SQ competitor, but I feel I have a critical ear. I can hear differences between amplifiers, at least I have in my own testing, and I have no reservations about using all Class D in my car. The Precision Power and Clarion amplifiers I recommend don't color the sound. If you've read forum posts about people who have compared Class D to AB, often they complain that "something" is missing with Class D. I look to improving speaker locations, installation, choosing speakers that should give the type of performance I want, acoustic treatments, and DSP to give me something much more fun to listen to than a splash of color from an amplifier.

Full range Class D makes more power for the same or less chassis size, it's more efficient, and in many cases your amp is small enough to install invisibly if desired. Not all Class D amplifiers sound good, so you want to pick one that is field tested and proven to be good.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.