In search of this retaining clip - w/ picture

Participant count
  • Participant list
My mom has an '02 Ford Taurus that I installed a Metra dash panel radio conversion kit in so I could install the stereo deck she wanted. Because of the configuration of the dash panels you can't install your own radio unless you install something like this conversion kit first. The kit provided a new front panel but asked you to remove the panel retaining clips from the old panel and use it on the new installation. Those are the internal retaining clips you de-lock when you insert the U shaped removal tools. The old clips got misshapen and one broke. So now I can't get the panel to stay in and am looking to replace the clip. Anyone know where to get a clip that looks like this...

What you could do is and I've done this.....Take your vin number up to Ford Parts, enter it into the system go to the radio area, find your clip, write down the part number and go to eBay and find it. I had to do that with a couple screws I couldn't find aftermarket. Also you can take the part number and put it into any search engine like yahoo or google and find it online that way. I have done that as well when looking for door clips. As there is a few sites that sell those in bulk for next to nothing compared to the dealership.

I also did the same exact thing when I bought my Explorer and was trying to find a rear cargo cover for it, got the part # and found it NIB at a junkyard near my old hometown and since they knew me they shipped it up to me for 100 bucks with shipping instead of 250 at Ford.

Problem is most places are no longer allowing you to go into their yards and pull parts. In my state there is only one. Used to be able to go into just about any place and pull parts and pay dirt cheap prices not anymore.

But yeah junkyard as well if you are lucky enough to be able to pull your own parts.

I've done the Ford parts vin number on their parts page, found the part # then called the local dealership to find out how much. Sometimes parts like that can only be bought in a package of 3 or more depending on how stupid OEM wants to be with it. But yes most if you don't want to use ford parts then call the dealership. Even then they will still ask for the last 8 of your vin to make sure they get the right options up on the screen. That is what the 4 Ford dealers around here ask for no matter what when I call them. So I've gotten in the habit of having it on a card in my wallet. Or check your insurance card as that will have it as well.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.